Mixed reviews - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Mixed reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY
Colts been doing it right for over 100 yrs-
Nuff said

Now on a side note i'm a die hard 70 series guy but thats just personal taste
Im with you on the 70 series

Old 09-25-2011, 11:03 PM   #12
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3443 Times on 1971 Posts
Likes Given: 1501

I have a CZ-DW CBOB, in 10mm. I have a Ed Brown Kobra carry in .45. They look like they came from the same mother (twins), but if you rack slides, pull triggers, work safeties, you could tell the difference in quality.

Most higher costing 1911's are worth it. To say which is the best is left to one's interpretation of "best".

There has to be something good said about Colt series 70 if Colt has added that back into their lineup with some of their models.

And if you only go on one person's opinion, well here it is:

Hurricanes, tornadoes, and typhoons suck.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #13

Liked 431 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97cobra

I was looking at that CCO bobtail. It seems to be a sweet little gun. Any opinion on that?
I don't have any experience with the CCO. Go over to the 1911 Forum (not the M1911 forum) and read through the DW sub-section. Lots of people happy with their CCOs.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #14

Liked 1441 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97cobra View Post
I've been thinking of a 1911 for CC and I was looking at colts and Dan wessons but I keep getting mixed reviews for both. As far as colts people are saying they aren't the same as they used to be and they live off there name whereas Dan Wesson's reviews are saying get before cz because cz is no good. What do y'all think about this? It's a CC and range gun obviously for practice.
See post # 2.

Quote:
I was looking at that CCO bobtail. It seems to be a sweet little gun. Any opinion on that?
If your hands are like mine (large but not XL) the CCO does not provide enough grip. The Commander is full size frame with the 4 1/4" barrel. The rounded MSH would be nice but I think the concealment benefits are over rated.

A good pancake or IWB holster does a great job.

Quote:
I was looking to see if anyone covered this but it's a lot of threads to go through. But I've been leaning more towards a colt myself.

I've been leaning towards commander or operator.
If you want a Commander look at this:

If you want an operator:

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake

See post # 2.

If your hands are like mine (large but not XL) the CCO does not provide enough grip. The Commander is full size frame with the 4 1/4" barrel. The rounded MSH would be nice but I think the concealment benefits are over rated.

A good pancake or IWB holster does a great job.

If you want a Commander look at this:

If you want an operator:
I really like the look of that commander. Is that yours? That is a beautiful gun. I have a question for you though. I want to know how well the gun performs out of the box.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #16

Quote:
I really like the look of that commander. Is that yours? That is a beautiful gun. I have a question for you though. I want to know how well the gun performs out of the box.
No, not mine, but IMHO "the" best non-custom, production carry 1911 out there. It's on my bucket list!

I'll go out on a limb here, you will find it the best bang for your buck .45 ACP on the market! And should there be any issues, it's a Colt.
colt3.jpg   col1.gif  

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 09-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #17

Quote:
I have a question for you though. I want to know how well the gun performs out of the box.

That's the first 7 rounds @ 7 meters with my XSE Government.

I'm happy with this production gun! Well almost. I did customize it a tad.

- orangello

Old 09-26-2011, 10:47 PM   #18

I can't let Cane get away with calling that Colt Commander "the" best non-custom production carry 1911. For defensive carry, the 10mm is king in my book. This DW will also have fewer MIM parts than the Colt.

I own several Colts as well and none of mine come close to a fit as tight and smooth as the DW.

And it will match, probably even outshoot, the Colt Commander in the accuracy department. This is 10 rounds of 180gr FMJ slow-fired offhand from 25 yards with the DW. That's a 2 inch target for reference.

I'll give Colt the nod in the "best bang for the buck" category. They're definitely solid guns with a great reputation. But the 10mm CBOB blows the doors off the Colt Commander in the running for the best non-custom production carry 1911. Sorry Cane...

Last edited by Olympus; 09-26-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

No, not mine, but IMHO "the" best non-custom, production carry 1911 out there. It's on my bucket list!

I'll go out on a limb here, you will find it the best bang for your buck .45 ACP on the market! And should there be any issues, it's a Colt.
Well I currently have the funds to go with either of the two. I have always wanted a colt 1911 because well who doesn't want atleast one colt 1911. The best bang for your buck is definitely appealing.

Quote:

That's the first 7 rounds @ 7 meters with my XSE Government.

I'm happy with this production gun! Well almost. I did customize it a tad.

That's impressive for being the first 7 rounds. I am very impressed with the accuracy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus
I can't let Cane get away with calling that Colt Commander "the" best non-custom production carry 1911. For defensive carry, the 10mm is king in my book. This DW will also have fewer MIM parts than the Colt.

I own several Colts as well and none of mine come close to a fit as tight and smooth as the DW.

And it will match, probably even outshoot, the Colt Commander in the accuracy department. This is 10 rounds of 180gr FMJ slow-fired offhand from 25 yards with the DW. That's a 2 inch target for reference.

I'll give Colt the nod in the "best bang for the buck" category. They're definitely solid guns with a great reputation. But the 10mm CBOB blows the doors off the Colt Commander in the running for the best non-custom production carry 1911. Sorry Cane...
Man and when I thought my mind was made up you bring in a 10mm. I have always wanted a 10mm because of the unbelievable things I've heard about it's ballistics. This makes my decision harder. I guess the next thing the two of you will tell me to do is to get to a range or dealer and shoot them and see what I'm comfortable with.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:58 AM   #20

That's probably a good idea, but I can guarantee you won't find a 10mm Dan Wesson to try unless you have a good friend with one. They only made the 10mm for a few years and now there is kind of 10mm cult following and people grab them up as soon as they come available. In my area, there is an 8 month waiting list to have a 10mm Kimber ordered even.

And front cocking serrations? C'mon Colt...what would J.M. Browning have to say about that?
10mm.jpg  

Last edited by Olympus; 09-27-2011 at 01:01 AM.