Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Mixed reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Mixed reviews

I've been thinking of a 1911 for CC and I was looking at colts and Dan wessons but I keep getting mixed reviews for both. As far as colts people are saying they aren't the same as they used to be and they live off there name whereas Dan Wesson's reviews are saying get before cz because cz is no good. What do y'all think about this? It's a CC and range gun obviously for practice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
Supporting Member

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I asked the almost exact same question a while back. Majority of all of the responders were positive with the Colt brand and a few others such as Kimber. Cane convinced me into trusting in a Colt. He was dead on, the Colt is not living off their name and produce a great pistol. You will not go wrong with a Colt. It is now my main carry pistol and I trust my life and the life of my family with it.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
Retired

Liked 2270 Times on 1357 Posts
Likes Given: 1058

If you compare either of you choices to a third brand (let's say RIA), then either would be a good choice. I've had DW's (both pre- and post- CZ) and regret the days I had to get rid of any.

(As a side note, I still will take a CZ-DW over any Kimber. But that is my opinion only.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 09-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #4

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I would pick a colt over a dan wesson any day of the week, thats just me

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 09-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
(As a side note, I still will take a CZ-DW over any Kimber. But that is my opinion only.)
Indeed. My choice as well.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #6

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Government, commander or operator size for your cc? If you were going for government either would be a great choice. If you were gonna go with commander or operator Colt would be what I would go with. I only own a Sig 1911 but my next purchase will be a Colt commander.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 09-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #7

Liked 404 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Nobody that owns a Dan Wesson will tell that they are not good now that they're owned by CZ. I have a Dan Wesson CBOB and also a stainless Series 80 Colt Gold Cup. Quality, fit, and attention to detail easily go to the Dan Wesson. Accuracy is an apples/oranges comparison with the Colt being a .45 caliber 5" with target sights and the DW being a 10mm caliber 4.25" with combat sights.

If I were buying a new production gun today, it would be another Dan Wesson. You'll find mixed reviews on every gun ever made. The fact that most DW owners will never sell their guns speaks volumes to me. I promise I will never well the DW that I own.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborden1122
I asked the almost exact same question a while back. Majority of all of the responders were positive with the Colt brand and a few others such as Kimber. Cane convinced me into trusting in a Colt. He was dead on, the Colt is not living off their name and produce a great pistol. You will not go wrong with a Colt. It is now my main carry pistol and I trust my life and the life of my family with it.
I was looking to see if anyone covered this but it's a lot of threads to go through. But I've been leaning more towards a colt myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
If you compare either of you choices to a third brand (let's say RIA), then either would be a good choice. I've had DW's (both pre- and post- CZ) and regret the days I had to get rid of any.

So even after cz is still a good firearm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray
I would pick a colt over a dan wesson any day of the week, thats just me
That seems to be the common response with no disrespect to Dan wesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz
Government, commander or operator size for your cc? If you were going for government either would be a great choice. If you were gonna go with commander or operator Colt would be what I would go with. I only own a Sig 1911 but my next purchase will be a Colt commander.
I've been leaning towards commander or operator.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus
Nobody that owns a Dan Wesson will tell that they are not good now that they're owned by CZ. I have a Dan Wesson CBOB and also a stainless Series 80 Colt Gold Cup. Quality, fit, and attention to detail easily go to the Dan Wesson. Accuracy is an apples/oranges comparison with the Colt being a .45 caliber 5" with target sights and the DW being a 10mm caliber 4.25" with combat sights.

If I were buying a new production gun today, it would be another Dan Wesson. You'll find mixed reviews on every gun ever made. The fact that most DW owners will never sell their guns speaks volumes to me. I promise I will never well the DW that I own.
I was looking at that CCO bobtail. It seems to be a sweet little gun. Any opinion on that?

Old 09-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #10

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Colts been doing it right for over 100 yrs-
Nuff said

Now on a side note i'm a die hard 70 series guy but thats just personal taste

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET