MilSpec Upgrades
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > MilSpec Upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default MilSpec Upgrades

Looking to upgrade my SA MilSpec.

Beavertail - Smith & Alexander or Wilson Drop-in.
Would have to alter frame to fit the S&A. Not sure I want to do that with a lifetime warranty. Have seen pics of MilSpecs with Wilson for government models - large gap between frame and safety. I have seen 1 pic with the Wilson commander style on MilSpec, much smaller gap. Has anyone tried the commander drop-in? Would you modify gun with lifetime warranty?

Mainspring Housing - changing from arched to flat. If I go from Springfield w/ ILS to non-ILS will I need to change internals? Has anyone used the Smith & Alexander?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky17 View Post
Looking to upgrade my SA MilSpec.

Beavertail - Smith & Alexander or Wilson Drop-in.
Would have to alter frame to fit the S&A. Not sure I want to do that with a lifetime warranty. Have seen pics of MilSpecs with Wilson for government models - large gap between frame and safety. I have seen 1 pic with the Wilson commander style on MilSpec, much smaller gap. Has anyone tried the commander drop-in? Would you modify gun with lifetime warranty?

Mainspring Housing - changing from arched to flat. If I go from Springfield w/ ILS to non-ILS will I need to change internals? Has anyone used the Smith & Alexander?
many times when you modify an item, it usually voids the warranty. so you have to decide whether you want to modify and void the warranty to get what you want in a pistol or live with drop-in parts that might be a bit mis-matched.

would i modify a pistol with a lifetime warranty? good question. depends on the pistol and what i was wanting out of it. might be better to find another pistol to modify if the warranty is an issue that concerns you.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #3

Should have put in my original post that I did look into trading for a Loaded model. Upgrading the MilSpec will cost about the same as paying the difference for the loaded. I also prefer the rear cocking serrations only. This is a pistol that I plan to keep since it's my first 1911. Someday it will belong to my son. I do not see having the cash for another 1911 anytime soon so upgrading this one just the way I want seems to be the best option.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3443 Times on 1971 Posts
Likes Given: 1498

Have you considered asking SA to do the work?

Warranty problem solved.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
Have you considered asking SA to do the work? Warranty problem solved.
I have, but it's cost prohibitive. $90 to install beavertail, $45 to refinish frame and $60 to ship the gun to them. Plus still need new hammer. For that I can buy all the parts including a Novak rear sight.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #6

Liked 2451 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Installed a S&A beavertails on my older Springer. I like the fitted BTs better than the "drop-ins".

Mine is a pre-ILS gun so a mainspring housing change was simple. But I'm pretty sure your spring and plunger would work fine in a standard housing. I prefer the arched housings, but that is personal preference.

With the cost of parts and tools, refinishing equipment and supplies to do this yourself and do it right, won't save you a whole lot of money, and you will void the warranty. Also if you do mess something up you have no one to blame but yourself, and you may be dropping more cash on second sets of parts. Not trying to discourage you from doing this, just giving you more data to weigh in your decision. I obviously opted to risk it, and bought the BT, the fitting jig, the stones, the new hammer, the hammer and sear fitting jig, the parkerizing kit, and I already had an air compressor, air brush and Norrels Moly Resin for the final baked finish I wanted over the Parkerizing.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky17 View Post
I have, but it's cost prohibitive. $90 to install beavertail, $45 to refinish frame and $60 to ship the gun to them. Plus still need new hammer. For that I can buy all the parts including a Novak rear sight.
you could probably save a bit on the shipping if you have a gun dealer do it for you. they can send pistols flat rate through the USPS.. you would have to ship it either with FedEx or UPS.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:42 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Trade it for a RO it is all done with what you want. The Mainspring housing with the lock does take different springs. Got mine from Wolff .