Might be a stupid question....

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Might be a stupid question....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 02:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Default Might be a stupid question....

So I just got my 1st 1911...the Springfield G.I. is it a government or officer? What's the difference ? I'm just looking around midway to see what kind of stuff there's out for it (I know there's a lot) and for parts If I run into problems. Thanks guys

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-22-2011, 03:02 AM   #2

government has a 5" barrel and typically a 7 round mag. the officer has 3.5" barrel (iirc) and a 6 round mag. mag capacity is not a good indicator.longer mags will fit the shorter butt pistols. i use a 10 round in my colt officers all the time.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:08 AM   #3

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooleybooger
government has a 5" barrel and typically a 7 round mag. the officer has 3.5" barrel (iirc) and a 6 round mag. mag capacity is not a good indicator.longer mags will fit the shorter butt pistols. i use a 10 round in my colt officers all the time.
Great thanks. I thought it was the government...at least it made sense anyway. Thanks for the info

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 08-22-2011, 03:17 AM   #4

Government, not a stupid question, I learn like this every day too. Great looking 1911