Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > May Leave the Dark Side....Kimber???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 02:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default May Leave the Dark Side....Kimber???

Recently found a Kimber SIS Custom for sale at a local shop.

Model:SIS Custom™ .45 ACP Caliber:.45 ACPFeatures:

• Match grade frame, slide, barrel, bushing and chamber.
  • Match grade barrel is machined from a single piece of solid steel for accuracy and long life.
  • All Kimber pistols feature a polished breech face for flawless feeding and extraction.
Specifications:Height (inches) 90° to barrel: 5.25
Weight (ounces) with empty magazine: 38
Length (inches): 8.7
Magazine capacity: 8
Ambidextrous thumb safety
Service melt
Recoil spring (pounds): 16.0
Standard military length guide rod
Frame:Material: Stainless steel
Finish: Matte gray
KimPro II™ frame finish
Width (inches): 1.28
Frontstrap checkering
Slide:Material: Stainless steel
Finish: Matte gray
KimPro II™ slide finish
Front serrations
Flat top
Barrel:Length (inches): 5
Steel, match grade
Stainless steel match grade bushing
Twist rate (left hand): 16
Sights:SIS Night Sights™ Tritium fixed
Radius (inches): 6.8
Grips:Laminated
Trigger:Solid Aluminum Match Grade
Factory setting (approx. pounds): 4.0 - 5.0
Suggested
Retail Price:$1427.00 SIS Custom™ .45 ACP

It is used,barely from the looks of it and from what my buddy who works there has told me. The guy who traded it in has bought a $h1tload of pistols there in the last couple years. He buys them, plays with them for a month or two then trades them in for new pistols. Probly has less than a couple hundred rds through it. They are asking $900.

Can any of you 1911 guys tell me anything about this model? Good used price? I know they are +$1200 new.
Good shooters? Reliable?
What are your opinions on this model. I searched the forum and couldn't find any.

Thinking about trading my Glock 21 in on it. Wanted to give the 1911 a chance. See if they live up to the hype
If I dont like I can always re-sell and buy the G21SF i was thinking about anyways.
Thanks for the input ----Ken

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-13-2009, 02:07 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Okay, the SIS Custom has come thru Kimber's Pro Shop, so it has all the bells and whistles.

I owned one Pro Shop pistol in a 4.25 Raptor II and it was a GREAT effing pistol. I never had one problem with it, and the only reason I sold it, was to upgrade to my T3 ( sad loss there, boating accident at all ).

I never had any of the "rusting" problems that two members here have had and those Kimbers that I have owned ( I had 2 originals until the boating accident ) were tackdrivers.

$900 is a bit more than I would spend, not much, but the weapon is WAY over-priced from the get go.

Given the quality of the weapon, and the coolness of the slide ( I like that look ), I DARE YOU to make the deal and see what YOU think about the 1911 platform...

But, you really need to shoot a 1911 before you sink that kind of money into a pistol you are not completely sold on. Go rent ANY 5" 1911 and see how you shoot with it. I am betting by the first 8 round mag, you will have found your new Holy Grail pistol...

JD

Old 10-13-2009, 02:41 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What Dillinger said x2 Find a 1911, go shoot it, and if you aren't in love after 8 rounds, well, you WILL be in LOVE after 8 rounds After I fired my first 1911 (a Colt Gov't Model) I knew from immediately that I would never purchase another pistol that wasn't a 1911. I now own a Colt Combat Commander that I purchased used for $850.

I have heard a LOT of good things about Kimber, and as long as you're going with a full-size one, you shouldn't have any reliability issues with it.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:43 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It's the pistol for the high speed, low drag, Tactical guys in L.A. It's supposed to be a really hot pistol. Here in the Peoples Democratic Republic of California, only law enforcement can buy them.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-13-2009, 03:08 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A few months back i found a kimber warrior in a local shop slightly used for 900.00 and i bought it without ever really firing a 1911. Luckly i instantly fell in love with it. The warrior is very similar to the SIS, same pistol except for the sights and the serrations on the slide are different. I really like the kim pro finish it makes cleaning easy. You will find the trigger a bit different to get used to, it took me about 300 rounds to transition from the glock trigger to the 1911. I agree with the others, shoot someone else's gun before you drop the cash, trust me your going to want it more. if you do buy it polish the feed ramp into a mirror, it will save you some hassles

Old 10-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #6

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Screw around looking for a 1911 to "test drive" and someone else will own your SIS!

Experience the lure of the 1911 with your own gun.

You will not regret the plunge!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #7

Liked 209 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Wanted to give the 1911 a chance. See if they live up to the hype
HYPE?

Old 10-14-2009, 12:12 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks for the replies!
I just wanted to know that this was a quality piece I was looking at. Sounds like it is.
Wanted to see if price was decent. Its not the steal of the century but sounds reasonable.

I dont know of any ranges in my area that rent pistols, He11 I dont know any indoor ranges around here
Ive been working alot of overtime lately and got a nice check coming tomorrow.
Going to "take the plunge" tomorrow evening, if they still have it (Cane mite have jinxed me)

Thanks again for the help---Ken

Old 10-14-2009, 05:19 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Didja get it? Didja Didja? Huh?

Old 10-14-2009, 10:59 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

---------------Yep