Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Match grade ramped barrel vs match grade vs ramped non-match grade.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 163 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default Match grade ramped barrel vs match grade vs ramped non-match grade.

In my search for my next gun purchase, a 1911, I have bumped into mixed opinions with regards to wether the barrel is match grade ramped or not. Others recommend ramped but say the match grade is no more than a sales gimmick. This will be my first 1911, therefore, I would like to make a wise decision.

Looking forward to advice from all you 1911 experienced owners.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #2

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

If your goal is a great carry gun then the stock barrel is probably fine. Tightening the slide to frame and truing and honing the rails will add accuracy without buying a new match barrel. In addition if it is traditional 1911 a match grade barrel bushing might help accuracy also. The ramp question was a little confusing. Polishing your existing ramp will help in the reliability of feeding and I might lower and or flare the ejection port for reliability in ejection. Most if not all the $750 + weapons have addressed most of this if not all. If you bought or are buying an entry level 1911 the afore mentioned might be required by a competent Gunsmith. The match grade barrel is nice but most shooters can not maximize on the precision that is offered by them, if I had one in a carry weapon I might have it throated to be less finicky on the ammo fed. I would shoot it with what I intended to carry before doing that. If there were feeding problems with my intended range or carry ammo then I would get it throated. I am fairly confident that I gave you solid info but I have no doubt that some might disagree. I based what I said on the fact that I have had 3 built from stock guns 2 for carry and 1 for Bullseye Competition.

Last edited by g23shooter; 06-18-2013 at 10:08 PM.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2666 Times on 1552 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

I have built a few over the years.

While some think that polishing the feed ramp is the cure to all things, I prefer a different method.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

On the question of ramped vs non-ramped. The ramp was (is?) supposedly to help in providing more substance to the chamber area in case of a cartridge blow out. For higher than normal pressure rounds (i.e. .38Super), I would do it. Otherwise, no.

I think if you first have 500 rounds through the firearm, you will be able to see what needs to be changed. Trying to change things first could be a waste of money (which is why you are buying an inexpensive 1911 in the first place).

I have some guns over 40 years old that I used in competitions with the non-ramped barrel in .45ACP. One still has the original 2-piece barrel and has over 15,000 rounds through it and still keeps 5 rounds touching at 15 yards (which is still better than some brand new).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #4

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

rickster, over the past 40 years or so I've had ramped, unramped, match, non match barrels,etc. in .45 ACP, 10MM, Super .38 and 9MM 1911s. While I prefer the ramped type barrels for 10MM, Super .38 and 9MM, I still prefer the traditional, unramped type in .45 ACP. BTW, ths new "dimple" type barrel throat that Colt has been using for over a decade now provides excellent feed reliability with no polishing,throating, etc. Looked odd to me at first, but just works with any bullet shape or ammo I've tried. During the same time period I've observed that the Colt's barrel to slide fit is better, and more consistent, gun to gun than many of my earlier Colts.

The "National Match" or "Match" designation is used by just about every barrel or gun manufacturer on one or more of their models. No matter the barrel quality, or how loosely it may fit in the gun, many shooters seem to put great stock in having a barrel in their pistol with the "NM" or "Match" makings. I have found most barrels to have adequate internal quality to produce at least good accuracy, but the devil,as usual, is in the details. Whether marked match or not, what really counts is how well the barrel is fit to the bushing, the bushing to the slide, the barrel hood to the breech face and the barrel feet to the slide stop. Some manufacturers, Les Baer, Dan Wesson, STI, for example, do a better job of this than do some other manufacturers. Bottom line IMHO, do your homework, buy as much quality as you can afford no matter what the barrel does or does not have marked on it...

Old 06-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20074 Times on 11419 Posts
Likes Given: 50632

i have to agree with DanF and Rock185 on this. their reasoning fits with my thinking on this as well. the 1911 wasn't designed with a ramp. that came later because people wanted to shoot other ammo than just 230 gr. hardball ammo. so someone designed a ramped barrel to allow lead wadcutters and JHP ammo to feed better. usually when you make some modifications to an item, you usually have to make others, in order for everything to work in sync together.

match grade? i have to agree that it's more a marketing selling point. yes they probably are a little more accurate than normal barrels, but for the average shooter, it's pretty much a moot point. most people who shoot pistols are shooting pistols more accurate than their capabilities in the first place. a seasoned competition shooter might be able to tell the difference, but it's unlikely most people can tell that difference.

most of the accuracy with the 1911 comes from how well it locks up when in battery and how well it returns to that smae position each and everytime it's fired. for a SD or carry pistol, i would want to concern myself with reliablity over accuracy. the fact that it fires every time the trigger is pulled. a target or range pistol, i would probably seek accuracy over most other things.