Match grade barrels

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Match grade barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Match grade barrels

I just fit a match barrel to my 1911. Unlike with the factory barrel, I can't slide the feeler gauge between the round in the chamber and the breech face. Is this safe to shoot or have I cut the barrel hood to short?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2950 Times on 1700 Posts
Likes Given: 1270

Does the slide go completely into battery?

The lugs on top come into play when fitting a new barrel. Are they seated completely? Are there any peening signs? Does the barrel seat completely into the slide?

If the barrel is not matched with the slide and allows the slide and barrel to separate too early, you could get more than a dirty face if you shot it.

Measure the top of slide to top of hood with slide on frame with slide stop installed (with and without a round being chambered.)
Then remove slide from frame and measure again. There should not be any difference in the three configurations.

Please give a report on how it shoots with stock barrel and match barrel.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-20-2013, 12:48 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The slide does go into battery. I haven't shot it yet. I was too concerned about the breech face clearance to shoot it.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2950 Times on 1700 Posts
Likes Given: 1270

As I cannot check the barrel fit myself, I am hesitant to advise you.

I don't know your experience level (but it should be pretty good if you fitted a barrel), and I don't want to open this forum up to any possible action if things are not correct.

If the barrel/slide lugs fit correctly, and all safety checks can be done, and it feeds and ejects a dummy round, you may not have problems.

I still suggest getting another set of eyes to check over the work. Even the best gunsmith is prone to have "Murphy's law".

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #5

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

What you're attempting to measure with a round in the chamber and a feeler guage is headspace, not hood length. I strongly recommend NOT using a live round. Match barrels will typically, and intentionally, have a tighter headspace than service grade barrels. The hood could be cut away completely ( don't do it) and it will not change headspace. With the barrel in battery, there should be very little clearance between the breech face and rear of the barrel hood. I prefer as close to .000" as possible. I try to have the barrel snap into battery with moderate thumb pressure after final hood fitting. Kuhnhausen's shop manual, Volume II, indicates optimum rear barrel length to be the distance from rear slide lug bearing surface to the breech face. I agree with Mr. K. Proper barrel fitting is a lot more than just getting the barrel to go into battery. It has it's own, many times not obvious, subtleties. I mean no disrespect, but if you're asking such a basic question, I would agree with danf, to have "another set of eyes", i.e., a person knowledgeable in 1911 barrel fitting, check over your barrel installation...

Old 06-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you all for your answers. After reading them I feel a lot better about the barrel I've installed. It sits straight up and down, has good lock up and a snug bushing fit. Ill let y'all know how it shoots, thanks again for all the answers!