Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Match grade barrels (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/match-grade-barrels-61109/)

Ultimate_sig 03-26-2012 01:12 PM

Match grade barrels
 
Im thinking of getting a match grade barrel, but looking at a few diffrent companys. Are they all pretty much the same quality and or are you buying the name, or is there really a diffrence. Ive been looking at Barstol and storm lake

JonM 03-26-2012 01:25 PM

My opinion:

Not needed. Most people cant shoot to the level of skill needed to see the difference in match grade vs normal barrels. Even proffessional shooters there may be 5 people world wide that can shoot at that level.

That being said its a good option to replace a factory barrel with if yours is damaged or worn.

Dont be confused in thinking its going to improve your shooting ability. Between the two you mentioned i doubt you would notice the difference if you didnt know which was which including a factory barrel.

Ive heard good and bad about both companies but no strong evidence about whats actually better

Axxe55 03-26-2012 01:36 PM

i agree with JonM on this. both are well known barrel makers for pistols and have been around for a while. as he said they are good if replacing a barrel thats worn out, or if building a custom pistol from the ground up. most people wouldn't or couldn't tell the difference between a factory or a replacement barrel according to accuracy because most people just don't shoot enough or are that good with a pistol. save your money and spend it on ammo instead. the price of a new barrel and having it fitted will buy a lot of ammo.

Ultimate_sig 03-26-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55
i agree with JonM on this. both are well known barrel makers for pistols and have been around for a while. as he said they are good if replacing a barrel thats worn out, or if building a custom pistol from the ground up. most people wouldn't or couldn't tell the difference between a factory or a replacement barrel according to accuracy because most people just don't shoot enough or are that good with a pistol. save your money and spend it on ammo instead. the price of a new barrel and having it fitted will buy a lot of ammo.

Are bull barrels the same just thicker

JonM 03-26-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig (Post 752111)
Are bull barrels the same just thicker

Bull barrel just means thicker than normal. In rifles this increase barrel rigidity which decreases barrel whipping when its fired adds weight to reduce felt recoil and easier shooting. It also increases the mass meaning it takes longer to heat up giving the shooter more shots before heat buildup degrades accuracy

In pistols the only real benefit is increased weight for easier aim and less felt recoil. Pistols are generally to short for harmonics to play a role and too low pressure for heat to be a true factor for most shooting.

However in revolvers like 44 and 357 bull barrels do help with heat issues due to the higher pressures of those rounds. Those types of cartridges and larger will generate a lot of heat rapidly so the more mass and surface area helps dissipate it.

Those types of guns tend to have ventilated ribs along the top of the barrel to help reduce the heat mirage. Most folks dont have good enough eyesight to see the mirage after extended firing so the rib is there mainly for the asthetic purpose for most of us

Axxe55 03-26-2012 02:20 PM

also if going to a bull barrel on a pistol the there will need to be modifications to fit it. it is not a simple swap. barrel bushing and recoil rod and spring will most likely need to changed or modified. some are even bushingless, meaning the barrel will need to be fitted to the slide to work.

Ultimate_sig 03-26-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55
also if going to a bull barrel on a pistol the there will need to be modifications to fit it. it is not a simple swap. barrel bushing and recoil rod and spring will most likely need to changed or modified. some are even bushingless, meaning the barrel will need to be fitted to the slide to work.

Yea its would take the bushing out, I dont know I like the way it looks on a 1911

Axxe55 03-26-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig (Post 752198)
Yea its would take the bushing out, I dont know I like the way it looks on a 1911

personally i don't see any large advantages of going through all the work for putting one in. especially if the barrel that's in it is fine. seems like a lot of expense for not any real gain just for looks. factor in the cost of the barrel, any extra parts such as recoil rod and spring and labor for a gunsmith to install, probably in the range of $300-500 for having it done. i still think that same money would be better spent on ammo and practice.

HOSSFLY 03-26-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 752263)
personally i don't see any large advantages of going through all the work for putting one in. especially if the barrel that's in it is fine. seems like a lot of expense for not any real gain just for looks. factor in the cost of the barrel, any extra parts such as recoil rod and spring and labor for a gunsmith to install, probably in the range of $300-500 for having it done. i still think that same money would be better spent on ammo and practice.

Agree with Axxe & Jon on all counts :cool:

Axxe55 03-26-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 752269)
Agree with Axxe & Jon on all counts :cool:

thanks HossFly. i will state my views on modifications to a 1911 or any other firearm. these are my views and opinions only, and just my way of seeing things. if it works fine the way it is, and doesn't add measureable value, performance, accuracy, or reliability, then there is no benefit in doing it. if a person wants all the bells and whistles of a competition type pistol, nothing wrong with that, but why take a perfectly good shooting, reliable pistol and put a bunch of aftermarket parts on it, and see no real improvements in accuracy, or performance? better to buy a used beater pistol and use nothing but the frame and slide and build one, or buy a new frame and slide and have one built up as a custom pistol rather than modifying a new one that works just fine as it is.

yes i want a totally custom 1911 myself. my plan is to find a cheap, well used 1911 and turn it into a custom 1911 in 38 Super. it will strictly be a range gun or for casual shooting. it will most likely be comped, as the goal is to run some very hot reloads through it. i plan on starting on this one after i finish a couple of other projects that are going on right now. the pistol is still in the planning stages, so it's finished product could change. first step will be to find a donor pistol to start with! still looking around, but i'm in no hurry.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:24 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.