In the market for a Kimber
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > In the market for a Kimber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 01:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default In the market for a Kimber

So Ive recently decided to downsize the gun collection and pick up a nice 1911, I know there are so many fine companies out there but Ive got my sights set on Kimber. I sold a G19, a Saiga Ak47, and crappy Tuarus wheel gun, leaving me with around 1K to spend, give or take 100-200 out of savings.

I held a Stainless Compact II which I can pick up for 800, but it seemed a little low in price to be quality (I know Im wrong, just playing the field). Can anyone reccomend a Kimber with 4" barrel in my price range that they would trust their lives to?

MESA TACTICAL REVIEW

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2008, 02:04 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have carried a Pro Carry for several years, I highly recommend it. Like Hollis said, it "shoots like a house afire". Compact is a great gun also, just your preference on the length of the grip. Both 4in bbl (IMO the shortest I would go for a pistol), again its what you are comfortable with. Both are easily concealed on the waist. Good luck!
regards

Old 10-01-2008, 02:40 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Kimber Pro Raptor II

For around $900 to $1000, depending on the dealer, there is no other 1911 that has all the features, and some I didn't, for the price.

I carried this exact model for over 2 years and put many a different kind of round thru it, from range rounds to custom "defense" loads. The weapon never missed a beat, and the only thing I ever did to the gun was dump the snake scale wood grips for a pair from S/A from their Operator line.

I can honestly say this was the best carry 1911, for the money, of all the ones I tried. Because of the shop I work in, we see just about everything, and this one was definitely one of the better models to come through the door. There are models that sell for $1500 that have the same, or less than the same, features from other companies.

Kimbers aren't perfect, but they make a very good weapon for the price. In a 4" carry model, for under $1000, that has night sights and a steel frame and slide, you would be hard pressed to find one that rivals this one....

JD

Old 10-01-2008, 04:26 AM   #4

Whats the size diff between a 4" and a standard 1911? Is it noticeable in EDC?

MESA TACTICAL REVIEW

Old 10-01-2008, 01:08 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

a "true" 1911 has a 5" bbl

Old 10-01-2008, 02:41 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockfire View Post
Whats the size diff between a 4" and a standard 1911? Is it noticeable in EDC?
Some 4" models use a smaller frame, some use the full sized frame. The difference of the 1" barrel size is noticable, but the weight is definitely noticable unless you get an aluminum frame.

Basically, I believe, the breakdown to be this.

On a full sized 1911, you get the full 5 inch barrel and they use the traditional "Government" frame designation.

On the 4.25 inch 1911 models, they use what is called the Commander Model frame.

On the 4" inch 1911, and smaller I believe though I am not 100% sure on that, they use the Officer Model Frame.

Government model has the most heft and beef to it, the Officer is the thinner and lighter version. The Commander Frame is a "perfect" mix in between.

JD

Old 10-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #7

Personally once you get to the $1,000 mark I would go with a Colt LW Commander especially since you're use to a light weight Glock .

Although I'm very happy with my 4 inch 1911's performance there's nothing like the simplicity of the standard setup of a barrel bushing , recoil spring plug and a short guide rod when it comes to maintenance .

Whoever came up with the Full length Guide rod and playing with a paper clip to field strip a 1911 needs to have their gonads put in a vice .

The only thing a guide rod does is A guide money out of your pocket or B guide you to the medicine cabinet for aspirin for the headache you'll have trying to make something work when you can't find a paper clip to clean your gun .

JMB didn't design the thing to cause your blood pressure to jump up when you had to clean it .

Old 10-01-2008, 04:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockfire View Post
So Ive recently decided to downsize the gun collection and pick up a nice 1911, I know there are so many fine companies out there but Ive got my sights set on Kimber. I sold a G19, a Saiga Ak47, and crappy Tuarus wheel gun, leaving me with around 1K to spend, give or take 100-200 out of savings.

I held a Stainless Compact II which I can pick up for 800, but it seemed a little low in price to be quality (I know Im wrong, just playing the field). Can anyone reccomend a Kimber with 4" barrel in my price range that they would trust their lives to?
I have had nothing go wrong with mine thus far. The CompactII Stainless is a very nice and reliable 1911. I love mine. Plus you can spend the $800 and still have some left over for ammo.

Last edited by iloveguns; 06-23-2009 at 09:26 PM.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #9

The Kimber PRO line uses a fullsize frame with the 4.25" barrel (or is it 4" barrel?).

The ULTRA uses the commander frame and 3" barrel.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:40 AM   #10

I think I decided on the Pro CDP II. I can get it out the door for 1075.

MESA TACTICAL REVIEW