Marines choose the 1911
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Marines choose the 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Marines choose the 1911

Makes me feel good!

Sticking to their guns: Marines place $22.5M order for the Colt .45 M1911

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/28/marines-pay-22m-to-go-back-to-their-old-guns-colt-45-caliber-pistols/

Bill
NRA Life Member

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is God’s job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #2

Liked 2390 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Very nice to see them buying American again.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #3

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Hoorah!!!!!

I just bought a Colt Rail Gun, blackened. This makes me want to modify it into a USMC M45 clone.

Quote:
It’s been called the greatest handgun ever made, and it has barely changed sine 1911, when the legendary John Browning designed it especially for the U.S. Military.

And now, the Colt .45 M1911 is making a big comeback, now that the U.S. Marines have placed a $22.5 million order for the Connecticut-made pistols.

The gun, which has been wielded on film by John Wayne and in real life by Sgt. Alvin York and Maj. Audie Murphy, was the standard-issue sidearm in the military for decades, until it was replaced by the Beretta M9 in 1985.

"It just became an iconic part of military and American history."
- Gerry Dinkel, CEO and president of Colt Defense

"It just became an iconic part of military and American history," Gerry Dinkel, CEO and president of Colt Defense, told FoxNews.com.

The gun, one of the most successful pistols ever used at Camp Perry's National Matches, a competition known to be the main world event in artillery sports, has barely changed since it's creation. Dinkel says that shows the gun's "elegant design" just can't be improved on. And firearms experts agree.

"You can’t beat a .45 cartridge," Jack Lewis, firearms director for Cowan's Auctions, told FoxNews.com. "Some things are hard to replace," he said.

Colt Defense, based in Hartford, Conn., will supply as many as 12,000 of the 200,000 U.S. Marines with semi-automatic, tan-colored M45 Close Quarter Battle Pistols, and they will include spare parts and logistical support. The gun has long been the weapon of choice for special operations agents, thanks to its reliability and the stopping power of its massive bullets.

"I'm really glad that they're keeping it in the American economy," Lewis, who used the gun while he was in the armed forces, said. "I was quite upset when they went to the Beretta," Lewis said.

Some reports suggest Marines are not happy with their main Beretta M9s for their lack of accuracy and stopping power. With M1911's now supplying Special Ops, growing interest may lead to a better solution.

"To have the 1911 selected again for U. S. Forces 101 years after its initial introduction is just an incredible testament to the timeless design and effectiveness of the Colt 1911," Dinkel said. "This is truly a gratifying contract award."
usmccolt.jpg  

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 07-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626 View Post
Hoorah!!!!!

I just bought a Colt Rail Gun, blackened. This makes me want to modify it into a USMC M45 clone.
Does you Colt Rail Gun have a double action spring assembly like the one on the M45 ?

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

Old 07-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #5

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba

Does you Colt Rail Gun have a double action spring assembly like the one on the M45 ?

I'd like to see support for this statement. I've read two articles so far, and haven't seen anything about this.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #6

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Marines-New-Close-Quarter-Battle-Pistol-CQBP

Old 07-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Why didn't I think of this before??

Oh yea, we did in 1911!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post

What was the price per unit again??

At least the Devil Dogs, some of the best fighters on the planet, are getting one of the best pistols available for their defense. *tips hat*

JD
Old 07-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #9

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba

Marines-New-Close-Quarter-Battle-Pistol-CQBP

I don't see it. Maybe I'm blind, I'll look again. It doesn't look like it would have nearly a long enough trigger pull to be DA/SA.

The only thing I saw after reading that twice that could possibly be taken that way, was that it has a dual recoil spring.

Last edited by trip286; 07-28-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #10

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
What was the price per unit again??

At least the Devil Dogs, some of the best fighters on the planet, are getting one of the best pistols available for their defense. *tips hat*

JD
HOLY SH!T, JD head nodding a Colt.

As hard as it seams JD, you've just moved up a notch or two on my Respect-O-Meter!
1_respect.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
Dillinger Likes This