"Mailing" a Handgun Out of State
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > "Mailing" a Handgun Out of State

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 03:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default "Mailing" a Handgun Out of State

If this is the wrong forum, I am sorry (sort of).

What do you know about legally shipping a handgun to another person (not an FFL) out of state via UPS?

Must it always be to an FFL, or a recognized (factory) service center?

In this day in age of terriorism, I fear that I could wind up on a government meat hanger by just doing something out of ignorance.

HELP!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-06-2011, 04:14 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2721 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1385

Paranoid,

That would be an ATF violation. You must find a FFL Licensed Dealer in the individuals state that will receive the shipment, and do the transfer to the individual receiving it. This law also applies to rifles and shotguns. There is normally a fee they charge for the transfer processing. Unless the guy you are shipping it to is a close friend of the dealer. Also UPS also has guidelines on shipping a firearm.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:34 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know someone who recently shipped their 1911 to a warranty center. The person called the warranty center/gun shop who said just ship it UPS, use the on line service and only use the gun shops initials so the driver or someone doesn't get sticky fingers seeing it's going to a gun shop. So the person shipped it 2nd day for about $30 with insurance.

A couple days ago I saw a post where someone said it has to be shipped overnight and you have to declare that it's a gun. Oops! Good think it was someone other than me shipping it.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 06-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Paranoid,

That would be an ATF violation. You must find a FFL Licensed Dealer in the individuals state that will receive the shipment, and do the transfer to the individual receiving it. This law also applies to rifles and shotguns. There is normally a fee they charge for the transfer processing. Unless the guy you are shipping it to is a close friend of the dealer. Also UPS also has guidelines on shipping a firearm.

Perhaps, for educational info, this might be a good time to relate anyone's experiences/knowledge of those who made a mistake in improperly shipping a (hand)gun without following "procedures." God forbid that any of us make a valid mistake by violating laws innocently but get burned over it. This may be my first time trying to do so; so perhaps others can learn by what I am about to go through. Bring it on gunnies!

Old 06-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9507 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Summary- With very few exceptions (inheritance being one) when OWNERSHIP of a firearm is being transferred across a state line, the firearm must be shipped TO a FFL in the recipients' home state. When you are sending a gun TO a repair facility, and the same (or a replacement) gun is returned to you, there is no transfer of ownership. You can also ship a gun to yourself (going hunting in Montana, send your rifle to Big Sky Lodge, hold for guest C3shooter) Again, no transfer of ownership.

Shipping- a private citizen can MAIL a rifle or shotgun by US Mail. Again to a FFL is crossing state line, ownership being transferred. They CANNOT mail a handgun. The CAN ship a handgun by UPS or FedEx, which requires Next Day Air, adult sign, which is about $70-$75. You can take it to a FFL (dealer) who CAN use US Mail for a handgun. May be a lot cheaper,

For anyone that tells you "wink wink nod nod, just list it as machine parts, drop it in the mail"- yeah, sure. Know what Fed law enforcement agency has the highest conviction rate? Postal Inspection Service.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:12 AM   #6

My thanks to all who replied.