Magnum Research 1911 - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Magnum Research 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 11:56 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

I have nothing against your choice, I was just making a point about flexibility. I've owned a number of Rock Islands and they are great shooters - but they have limitations. The DE 1911 may be a tremendous gun - but the jury is still out and I just feel there are other options at that price point. I've never been a fan of the newest & greatest as I prefer not to be a beta tester...

Old 12-07-2010, 01:54 AM   #32

Well...as it goes with Gunbroker purchases, and the state of NY, its taking a bit longer than I thought it would to get my DEagle 1911G...

The seller isn't the fastest shipper in the world...he finally shipped last Thursday, got to my FFL today.

Being that I'm in the Volks Republik of New York, I now need to go to my FFL, get all the particulars for the gun (Make, Model, Caliber, serial number) then make an appointment with the licensing clerk to bring the paperwork in to get filed...

Then wait about two weeks for the paperwork to get to the judge for his signature...

Then I'll get a call that its ready, at which point *another* appointment has to be made to go and get my CCW License updated with the addition of the new gun, and get the signed permission slip to bring back to the FFL...

Only after all that is done, can I go *back* to the FFL to take possession of the handgun.

NY sucks...not as bad as NJ or Massachusetts suck, but that ain't really saying much....

Old 12-07-2010, 04:59 AM   #33

I checked out one of the DE 1911s in June when I bought my Kimber. I think they were selling it for $600-$650. I liked it. The tolerances seemed tight, and the guy at the gun shop said he sold the first one they got to his buddy before it was even unpacked, and he was enjoying it a lot(i trust the guys at this shop). The DE seemed like a pretty nice gun for the money, and I debated between it and the Kimber almost twice the cost. I ended up going with the Kimber because a) I could afford it and b) it had more things I knew I would eventually want, like night sights, and beavertail grip safety. I was also weary of a gun that had just come onto the market, so I decided I would take another look later. I am really looking forward to Dragon's range report.

"In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real."- NY Times.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:31 AM   #34

Likes Given: 7

Default 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I'll throw in another observation I recently became aware of - not all 1911s are "certified" to accept the Clark Customs .460 Rowland kit. While you may not want to go this direction, you probably still want to have that option. Unless the DE 1911 (or any "off" brand) is priced so low as to make it a no brainer - maybe they aren't the value they appear to be? When I recently saw a DE 1911 at the PX, I think the price was $650 or so - which is not in the bargain range by any means. My Springer Mil-Spec (I paid about $500 LNIB) can take all standard 1911 parts, will accept the .460 kit, and is backed by a company with great customer service.

I like flexibility and to be honest, I will always stick with the brands I know will be there tomorrow. The BUL built 1911s were originally going to be imported by Charles Daly, then by KBI, now by Magnum Research - are they here to stay?

(The .460 kit may indeed work with the DE; however, I don't know for sure)

From Clark's website, these are the guns their kit is NOT certified to work with:

* IAI (Israeli Arms International) - We've found the top lugs in the slides of the Philippines produced 1911s to be soft! We've not tested the Israeli made guns but would recommend extreme caution.
* Rock Island Armory
* Auto Ordnance
* Taurus
* Llama
* AMT
* Charles Daly
* Essex
* Remington Rand
* Any "GI" 1911 (note: Springfield Armory Current Production models excluded)
Just want to know if STI slides and frames are from the Philippines should they be on the list.

Congrats on the new 1911 enjoy!

Murfdog

Life Liberty & the Pursuit of H&Ks
P2000sk 9mm NS Lem
P2000sk .40 sw NS Lem
USPc .45acp NS Lem