Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Magnum Research 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 07:21 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Looking for more opinions or someone who has one of these. Anyone???

Bueller.......Bueller.....

Old 10-19-2010, 07:39 PM   #22

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post

Bueller.......Bueller.....
I've seen & held one and they are nothing special. From what I've learned, they are made by BUL (Israel?)...

Last edited by NGIB; 10-19-2010 at 10:38 PM.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #23

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
The fact that we don't have a single owner on this broad forum, or anyone with even a range report of a weapon belonging to a buddy, should tell you all you need to know.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:59 PM   #24

Quote:
The fact that we don't have a single owner on this broad forum, or anyone with even a range report of a weapon belonging to a buddy, should tell you all you need to know
Heh...well, now you know of one future owner...

I pulled the trigger (no pun intended ) on one of these off GunBroker this past week-end. Seller was offering lay-away terms, so I really couldn't pass it up, as it made the purchase something that I could budget over a few weeks...

Will post a range report and a review once it comes into my possession...prolly close to the end of November, as I live in the Volks Republik of New York, and need to jump through a few hoops (like getting it added to my CCW which takes about two weeks in my county) after the gun arrives at the FFL before I can actually bring it home.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLW View Post
Heh...well, now you know of one future owner...

I pulled the trigger (no pun intended ) on one of these off GunBroker this past week-end. Seller was offering lay-away terms, so I really couldn't pass it up, as it made the purchase something that I could budget over a few weeks...

Will post a range report and a review once it comes into my possession...prolly close to the end of November, as I live in the Volks Republik of New York, and need to jump through a few hoops (like getting it added to my CCW which takes about two weeks in my county) after the gun arrives at the FFL before I can actually bring it home.
Well, there we have it, our first soon to be owner.

Congrats!

As this is an older thread, I meant no offense. I am interested in reading your report and your impression of the pistol.

JD

Old 10-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #26

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Well, there we have it, our first soon to be owner.

Congrats!

As this is an older thread, I meant no offense. I am interested in reading your report and your impression of the pistol.

JD
Indeed, me too!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I've searched for reviws online and found several, all were really good reviews. I haven't readanyting bad about them from someone who owns one. They are made in Israel.

Looking forward to the range report!

Old 10-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #28

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I'll throw in another observation I recently became aware of - not all 1911s are "certified" to accept the Clark Customs .460 Rowland kit. While you may not want to go this direction, you probably still want to have that option. Unless the DE 1911 (or any "off" brand) is priced so low as to make it a no brainer - maybe they aren't the value they appear to be? When I recently saw a DE 1911 at the PX, I think the price was $650 or so - which is not in the bargain range by any means. My Springer Mil-Spec (I paid about $500 LNIB) can take all standard 1911 parts, will accept the .460 kit, and is backed by a company with great customer service.

I like flexibility and to be honest, I will always stick with the brands I know will be there tomorrow. The BUL built 1911s were originally going to be imported by Charles Daly, then by KBI, now by Magnum Research - are they here to stay?

(The .460 kit may indeed work with the DE; however, I don't know for sure)

From Clark's website, these are the guns their kit is NOT certified to work with:

* IAI (Israeli Arms International) - We've found the top lugs in the slides of the Philippines produced 1911s to be soft! We've not tested the Israeli made guns but would recommend extreme caution.
* Rock Island Armory
* Auto Ordnance
* Taurus
* Llama
* AMT
* Charles Daly
* Essex
* Remington Rand
* Any "GI" 1911 (note: Springfield Armory Current Production models excluded)

Last edited by NGIB; 10-19-2010 at 10:33 PM.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:45 PM   #29

Well, considering that the DE 1911 G was designed and prototyped by Charles Daly, it probably won't accept the kit.

But to be honest, I'm not looking to monkey around with it as a *kit* gun. By no means will it be a Safe Queen...it'll go into the carry rotation, but will be the show-stopper in my stable. Already have lined up a gripmaker to make a set of grips covered in snakeskin (from my own holster stock of custom-dyed Python) so that it will match the holster that I'm currently making for it.

I've been wanting a 1911 for the longest time and finally took the plunge, and I've always looked at owning a 1911 kind of like owning a Rolex watch...you can go to the office wearing your Timex (Glock, anyone? ) but when you want to kick it up a notch and look your best, you tuck your shirt INTO your pants, making sure that said shirt takes cufflinks, toss on a nice waistcoat, and the Rolex to finish it all off.

A 1911 is SO much a classic, that you can treat it like a good Rolex. The design is classic, a really eye-catching set of grips just makes it pop, and having a matching holster (especially when the holster and the grips are snakeskin, crocodile, ostrich, or any other exotic skin) just seals the deal.

DragonLW

Old 10-19-2010, 10:54 PM   #30

A subtle point.

BUL, out of Isreal, produces a generous portion of the MIM parts that are used today in a variety of guns, including a lot of name brand 1911s.

My money says THEY will be around for quite awhile.

As to whom they are in business with here in the States - *shrug* - My Crystal Ball is in the shop with parts on back order.

Back to your originally scheduled thread.

JD