Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Magnum Research 1911 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/magnum-research-1911-a-26612/)

Ruzai 04-29-2010 04:09 PM

Magnum Research 1911

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/234...e1911tfbtm.jpg

Personally I thought their Desert Eagle was a great gun, but it just gets a bad rep for being the gun of choice for many with an *ahem" size issue..:rolleyes:
I'd like to own one in 44 magnum just for the fun of it, but do they think it gives them any right for such advertising like this?
Have any of you seen this new 1911 from MRI? They seem a bit conceeded about the 1911 being around for such a long time and it being "worthy" of their name finally. I'm ok with the company dipping into the 1911 wine cabinet (because we all know it isn't Koolaid :D ) but I'm a little irritated they are on their high-horse while doing it.

What do yall think?

FIGHTorFLIGHT 04-29-2010 04:14 PM

I think its just marketing...I wouldn't get all wrapped around the axle about it. Its a pretty nice looking gun, I would like to see how one will shoot.

NGIB 04-29-2010 04:18 PM

It reminds me of the Taurus ad that claimed you got a "$2100 gun for only $600". Depends on what features it has and where they price it...

canebrake 04-29-2010 04:19 PM

Kudos for them finally figuring how to get the safety off the slide!

glock2740 04-29-2010 05:39 PM

That ad is a little irritating to some 1911 fans. If it was the most accurate and reliable factory 1911 on the market, that ad might be OK. But I doubt very seriously, that it will compare any better or even as good as it's competition in the same price range. We'll see how it shoots. Personally I think the roll mark is kind of tacky looking. And doesn't even come with a checkered frontstrap?

Ruzai 04-29-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 277945)
Kudos for them finally figuring how to get the safety off the slide!

Yeah, fer real. :D

It just seems to be a side thought for the company in my opinion. Like they didnt really put much thought into the gun other than a roll-mark. It looks like they have Kimber style sights which would be nice if they were... The other add-ons arent all that "custom" besides the skelotonized hammer.
Been trying not to be overly judgemental of the gun because of the marketing. Just kind of think it comes out on the low end of cost-effective in my mind for a 1911.

General-Logic 04-29-2010 09:02 PM

LOL @ Magnum Research for being so full of themselves to claim the 1911 has "earned" their brand. Presumptuous and conceited. Their 44 Deagles are very fun to shoot however.

My PT1911 has all those features AND a checkered trigger guard AND a checkered front strap.

DrumJunkie 04-29-2010 09:54 PM

Seen a few on gunbroker with a 725.00 Buy now on them. Some as high as 750.00. I haven't shot one yet to know if they are any good.

crockett007 04-29-2010 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glock2740 (Post 277982)
That ad is a little irritating to some 1911 fans. If it was the most accurate and reliable factory 1911 on the market, that ad might be OK. But I doubt very seriously, that it will compare any better or even as good as it's competition in the same price range. We'll see how it shoots. Personally I think the roll mark is kind of tacky looking. And doesn't even come with a checkered frontstrap?

OK, soapbox........

Back in the day, I purchased an alloy frame .357 DE. The serial number was very low, one of the few guns available new to the market at the time ...1980 something. This pistol was a jam-o-matic from the first magazine. I returned it to Magnum Research twice, used jacketed bullets only, factory ammunition etc. FTE, FTF........

Therefore, and I realize this is personal preference, I will never own another Magnum Research product moving forward, no matter what the flavor. I have a friend with a .44 DE that runs great. I know this is a prejudicial point of view, but........I only get burned once.

I'll save my money for a Colt, Kimber etc....I currently own 1911's from both and they are excellent pistols. Yes, they have haters and issues across the boards, but these companies and thier product has never disappointed me.

venting over....:rolleyes:

Davyboy 04-29-2010 10:19 PM

Come on cane you got to test it for us. If you use your mod status I,m sure they will send you one to test. You are our 1911 guru.