Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Magazine for Taurus full-size 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 02:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1024 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 318

Default Magazine for Taurus full-size 1911

This is a link to the 1911 I own.
Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Am I correct in thinking that the magazine used by this is the same magazine that will fit in a standard 1911 Government model? I'm trying to find the best way to determine if a magazine will work with my gun since I won't have it with me at the gun show tomorrow and don't want to buy something that doesn't fit or doesn't work. I'm considering Tripp, and Wilson but have not ruled out any particular brand.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2010, 02:17 AM   #2

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Any "brand-name" mag made for a government-size 1911 should work for your Taurus. Stay away from the gun show special bargain types, though. If it seems the price is too good to be true....it probably is.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:18 AM   #3

Nice avatar Yunus. Yuk-yuk.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:26 AM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

You stopped stirring???

You have a standard 1911 with an 8 round ( plus one ) normal magazine fed system.

Tripps will work. 47D's will work. A lot of types will work. Or, I should say "should" work. Some weapons just don't like some types of magazines.

My Kimber won't feed my Nighthawk mags, but with everything else, it feeds just fine. You have to try them and see what works and what does not.

Obviously I wouldn't buy several hundred dollars worth of the same mags just because you like the name or the style. Buy one and see if it feeds correctly.

Chances are good that most high end mags will work great. But don't make them your carry mags until you run several dozen rounds through each mag without failure.

After all, it doesn't matter if you have an $8 magazine or a $50 magazine, if the damn thing doesn't feed the ammo into the chamber it doesn't matter who's name is on the buttpad.

JD

Old 02-13-2010, 03:19 AM   #5

Good info. From searching on here that seems to be the consensus, that most quality brands are just that but you don't know for sure until you try it. Makes sense, such tight tolerances there are bound to be slight differences even among the same make/model.

I wouldn't say I stopped stirring, but custom titles have length limits.

Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-17-2010, 12:25 AM   #6

CDNN sells 1911 mag clones for practicing for only $7 bucks, which is a bargain! For anything else, Wilson Combat only

Old 02-17-2010, 01:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Good info. From searching on here that seems to be the consensus, that most quality brands are just that but you don't know for sure until you try it. Makes sense, such tight tolerances there are bound to be slight differences even among the same make/model.

I wouldn't say I stopped stirring, but custom titles have length limits.
Well...how was the gun show? Did you find some mags?

Old 02-17-2010, 02:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Well...how was the gun show? Did you find some mags?
Gun show was decent but very very crowded. Probably because most people were finally able to get out of their homes after the weather we have had and it was a good excuse to get out. I ended up not getting any magazines because I didn't see a single Tripp mag. I saw some Wilsons and some other's but they were the same price as ordering on the internet so I'm holding out until I can see and hold the Tripp in hand and determine which one I like best. I can be very picky on some things, I probably should have bought at least 1 magazine but I'm in no rush.

Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-17-2010, 03:41 AM   #9

I got a good feeling about any shows in March....taxes! People need money

Old 02-24-2010, 07:21 AM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I have a PT1911 (among others) and so fat it has not had any issue with any of the mags I have for Gov framed pistols. Most of mine are Chip McCormick but I have others I've picked up here and there. There's around 25 mags all together and all of them have been in that weapon at one time or another. So far not a problem. Great advice in earlier posts. Those great deals at the shows will usually cause you to have to spend more money later getting parts or better off replacing them. CDNN Sports sometimes has a pretty good deal on a few good brands of mags.