Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > m1911s what is a good one?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 01:24 AM   #51
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20046 Times on 11399 Posts
Likes Given: 50572

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkaiser1989 View Post
I have been doing my reserach on 1911s i know that COLT will customize your gun to suit your needs to an extent after market gunsmiths can also modify it for you. the cost is massive. If there are this many problems with kimber than ill steer clear of them. However I love the look of an m1911 i have a dear friend of mine who is in his 90s that served in WWII and in Vietnam he has an original colt 1911 and he loves the gun dearly. If not for protection but to own a small piece of american history is worth to me a decent price tag.
personally, i have no love or hate for Kimber 1911's. they make some very nice looking pistols, but are not cheap, and with only a one year warranty, personally i would not pay that much for one. to be fair, many have Kimbers and have no problems with them at all, but some do have problems and from what i have heard, they expect you to jump through hoops in order to get them repaired. now would i ever buy a Kimber? yes and no. no, i would never buy one new, because of the reason stated above, but yes, if it were used and out of warranty and the price was right. because if there were issues, it would be out of warranty and i could do as i pleased without voiding said warranty.

there are probably way many more quality 1911's than those that are poor examples. from inexpensive foreign imports, that are quite well made, decently accurate and priced affordably, to some very fancy and almost custom level of build quality. so from around about $450 to $2500 plus, there are scores of 1911's to choose from. mild to wild!

i own three 1911's and love each one for their own attributes. my Springfield Armory Micro Compact 45, because even with it's very short 3" barrel is very accurate and it's size makes it very easy to conceal if wanted. my American Classic Commander, just because these pistols are very well made and affordable, and i wanted it to build a custom Commander on. my Remington R1 Enhanced, is bone stock other than the grips and works very well and is very accurate. my next one later on will be a Government model in 38 Super that i want to build into an informal target and range pistol. just for the fun of it!
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 07-30-2013, 12:59 AM   #52

I have a nice Springfield 1911 Will Springhfield Armony tune up my pistol? I live in Az. and unaware of a good gunsmith. Thanks

Old 07-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #53

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes they will. Here is the price list for custom work.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/download.php?asset=custom_1911.pdf

Old 07-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #54
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

If you live in AZ, give the guys at Dillon Precision a call and ask them.
http://www.dillonprecision.com/

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)