Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > m1911s what is a good one?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 03:09 AM   #41
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19880 Times on 11290 Posts
Likes Given: 50119

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Your right. I can't really tell if was actually polished, or if it was just machined. Either way it's smooth, and it feeds reliably.

Sorry, this was the best pic I could manage to get.

Attachment 111286

And yes, I noticed I missed a spot when I was cleaning. It's already clean again.
looks very similiar to mine. it appears machined very well and not really polished to me. i inspected mine after reading your last post about it.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 07-25-2013, 03:18 AM   #42
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
looks very similiar to mine. it appears machined very well and not really polished to me. i inspected mine after reading your last post about it.
The guy may have been mistaken then. Either way, it feeds well enough that I don't feel the need to polish it any more than it is.

BTW, what kind of SD ammo does yours like (or really any 1911)? Right now, I've just got lead in mine. I'd like to keep some good hollow points in it, but I don't want to end up stuck with something it doesn't like (at a dollar plus a round).

I was thinking about either Hornady XTP, Speer Gold Dot, or Federal HST if I can even find any.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:23 AM   #43
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19880 Times on 11290 Posts
Likes Given: 50119

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
The guy may have been mistaken then. Either way, it feeds well enough that I don't feel the need to polish it any more than it is.

BTW, what kind of SD ammo does yours like (or really any 1911)? Right now, I've just got lead in mine. I'd like to keep some good hollow points in it, but I don't want to end up stuck with something it doesn't like (at a dollar plus a round).

I was thinking about either Hornady XTP, Speer Gold Dot, or Federal HST if I can even find any.
from past experiance, i would make polishing a feed ramp the last thing i would do if i had feed issues. and only then, if it wasn't under warranty. if it was, a trip back to the factory would be in order if changing to higher quality mags didn't solve the problem. IMO, if the pistol was using quality mags and had no feed issues with most ammo, i would never touch the feed ramp. that's just my opinion on them.
People Like This 
Old 07-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #44

I have a Kimber Raptor Ultra II in stainless, and I had to send it back because it started firing multiple shots with one trigger pull. It was close to being fully automatic. I have only ran 200 rounds through it, and it was all full metal jacket Remington factory loads. The recommended break in is 250 rounds, and it was already messing up. The sad part is I only have a one year warranty after spending $1,300.00 on a gun. I made the warranty by 1 month. If this would have happened a month later I would have been S.O.L. The other sad thing is the Kimber Raptor is made in Kimbers Custom Shop. It was put together by one person who is supposed to be a Kimber "Master gunsmith." I paid that much to get a reliable and safe gun, and my Rock Island works 10x better. Oh yeah there customer service sucks as well. They are very short with you, and act like you annoy them. They won't answer your questions, and tell you just send it in and it will be 6 to 8 weeks before you get it back. So just know more money doesn't mean you are getting a better gun. I should have bought a Sig.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #45

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by coley843
I have a Kimber Raptor Ultra II in stainless, and I had to send it back because it started firing multiple shots with one trigger pull. It was close to being fully automatic. I have only ran 200 rounds through it, and it was all full metal jacket Remington factory loads. The recommended break in is 250 rounds, and it was already messing up. The sad part is I only have a one year warranty after spending $1,300.00 on a gun. I made the warranty by 1 month. If this would have happened a month later I would have been S.O.L. The other sad thing is the Kimber Raptor is made in Kimbers Custom Shop. It was put together by one person who is supposed to be a Kimber "Master gunsmith." I paid that much to get a reliable and safe gun, and my Rock Island works 10x better. Oh yeah there customer service sucks as well. They are very short with you, and act like you annoy them. They won't answer your questions, and tell you just send it in and it will be 6 to 8 weeks before you get it back. So just know more money doesn't mean you are getting a better gun. I should have bought a Sig.
It's my understanding there is no 'custom shop' that the custom is just a label used because of the parts that are used.

-happy Kimber owner

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by coley843 View Post
Sounds like a terrible experience. The more I hear about Kimber, the less I like what I hear. I've heard they only come with 1 magazine a lot of times?

I've heard of a lot of problems. I will probably never buy one. Too expensive for the terrible things I have heard of them.

I hope yours is good now and that you don't have any more problems with it.

Always have clean socks.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #47

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

yup, i'll take a used, $500, private party sale of an Isrealie model, any day. Of course, I can smith 1911's as well as anybody can. :-) still, very, very few guys will shoot enough rds, or have the skill needed to note any difference at all between such a $500 gun and a $2000 gun, worked on by some 'name". smith .when you try to sell that "name" gun, you'll lose about $1000 on the deal.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #48
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2649 Times on 1544 Posts
Likes Given: 1174

In the years I've been associated with the 1911 platforms, I just don't have room for a Kimber in my safe.
Maybe enough space for other manufacturers, but not Kimber.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2576 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
In the years I've been associated with the 1911 platforms, I just don't have room for a Kimber in my safe.
Maybe enough space for other manufacturers, but not Kimber.
I own one Kimber and it's a truly excellent gun. There will always be a place for it in my safe.

OK, fine, it's a bolt action rifle...
To be fair, if one likes the styling aesthetic that Kimber uses on their 1911s, I can see the temptation. I mean, lets be honest, Kimber builds some nice looking 1911s. The problem is the after-sale experience is too much of a dice roll. For a company that uses the tagline "The Choice of America's Best" and has what can charitably be called a "premium" pricing model, there are simply too many pissed off former Kimber owners. IMHO, there was a concious choice made to basically dodge responsibility for their issues. If Rock Island (a relative newcomer) can generate a substantial positive buzz over their CS at their price point, one is forced to ask, "Why can't Kimber do at least as well, they can certainly afford it at their price point?" It's tragic, because Kimber pretty much created the off-the-rack custom 1911 market.

Quote:
I have a Kimber Raptor Ultra II in stainless, and I had to send it back because it started firing multiple shots with one trigger pull.
My DW PM7 (purchased used) pulled that trick after I stripped it and cleaned to like new levels. DW CS sent me a list of things to check before calling a gunsmith. In my case, the cause was trying to dial out too much over-travel on the trigger.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman
People Like This 
Old 07-26-2013, 01:08 AM   #50

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
I own one Kimber and it's a truly excellent gun. There will always be a place for it in my safe.

OK, fine, it's a bolt action rifle...
To be fair, if one likes the styling aesthetic that Kimber uses on their 1911s, I can see the temptation. I mean, lets be honest, Kimber builds some nice looking 1911s. The problem is the after-sale experience is too much of a dice roll. For a company that uses the tagline "The Choice of America's Best" and has what can charitably be called a "premium" pricing model, there are simply too many pissed off former Kimber owners. IMHO, there was a concious choice made to basically dodge responsibility for their issues. If Rock Island (a relative newcomer) can generate a substantial positive buzz over their CS at their price point, one is forced to ask, "Why can't Kimber do at least as well, they can certainly afford it at their price point?" It's tragic, because Kimber pretty much created the off-the-rack custom 1911 market.

My DW PM7 (purchased used) pulled that trick after I stripped it and cleaned to like new levels. DW CS sent me a list of things to check before calling a gunsmith. In my case, the cause was trying to dial out too much over-travel on the trigger.
I have been doing my reserach on 1911s i know that COLT will customize your gun to suit your needs to an extent after market gunsmiths can also modify it for you. the cost is massive. If there are this many problems with kimber than ill steer clear of them. However I love the look of an m1911 i have a dear friend of mine who is in his 90s that served in WWII and in Vietnam he has an original colt 1911 and he loves the gun dearly. If not for protection but to own a small piece of american history is worth to me a decent price tag.
  • Courage
  • Loyalty
  • Rectitude
  • Benevolence

Guns Owned

Para USA 1911 EXPERT .45ACP

Sig Sauer P238 .380ACP

For reviews on various products check out my youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Hellfire198362

CCW map

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php