Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > m1911s what is a good one?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 18 Posts

Cheap 1911- Fire storm, by metro arms. It is my daily carry gun. I had the slide and bushing tightened and trigger worked, but at $400 its a great gun!! Had to get the cheesy name wiped off the side too. But if that doesn't bother you its easy adjustments. Reliably shoots a paper plate at 70 yards, and never malfunctions with ball ammo. Doesn't like hollow points very much, but I love the thing.
And I don't freak when it gets "wear" due to daily use like if I had a 1500 pistol on my hip.
Although there are some great high end pistols out there. All depends on the pocket book.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #32

Liked 30 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkaiser1989

Probably just target shooting. Maybe home protection but havnt made up my mind just yet
Most big names will do you fine man, just get one you like how it feels and you will be pleased. This sort if thing is all about what you can afford. If you go with a real cheap one like I did, and want to carry it or use it for defense, a couple hundred bucks a gunsmith can make it very reliable. You just want to make sure it's reliable. "Bang" every time, no exceptions.
Don't get scared away by the prices on the high end options you've heard about here. They are exaggerated.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #33

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse80 View Post
Cheap 1911- Fire storm, by metro arms. It is my daily carry gun. I had the slide and bushing tightened and trigger worked, but at $400 its a great gun!! Had to get the cheesy name wiped off the side too. But if that doesn't bother you its easy adjustments. Reliably shoots a paper plate at 70 yards, and never malfunctions with ball ammo. Doesn't like hollow points very much, but I love the thing.
And I don't freak when it gets "wear" due to daily use like if I had a 1500 pistol on my hip.
Although there are some great high end pistols out there. All depends on the pocket book.
And this is a major reason I have trouble justifying the cost of a high dollar 1911. It's like the more expensive knives. Sure they are great but the first time I chip a blade opening a paint can or using it as a screw driver I'm boned and depressed that I messed up an expensive knife.

The greatest thing about 1911's besides the fact that they are AWESOME is the aftermarket. You can change anything to suit your needs and wit ha little work have a really nice pistol and not have a whole lot of money in it. I really like working on 1911s though so maybe that's got somersetting to do with it.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #34
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19528 Times on 11084 Posts
Likes Given: 49157

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
And this is a major reason I have trouble justifying the cost of a high dollar 1911. It's like the more expensive knives. Sure they are great but the first time I chip a blade opening a paint can or using it as a screw driver I'm boned and depressed that I messed up an expensive knife.

The greatest thing about 1911's besides the fact that they are AWESOME is the aftermarket. You can change anything to suit your needs and wit ha little work have a really nice pistol and not have a whole lot of money in it. I really like working on 1911s though so maybe that's got somersetting to do with it.
well said DJ! i like the higher dollar 1911'sjust as much as anyone that likes 1911's does. some are just out of my reach presently and maybe one day. but i agree, there's lots that can be done with an inexpensive 1911 to personalize or customize it to your needs or wants.

here's a link to a thread, where i bought an inexpensive American Classic Commander to do a custom job with. it was bought with the intentions of customization from the beginning. should give an idea as to what can be done with some time and a little money.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/american-classic-commander-modified-75656/
DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 07-25-2013, 01:46 AM   #35

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
well said DJ! i like the higher dollar 1911'sjust as much as anyone that likes 1911's does. some are just out of my reach presently and maybe one day. but i agree, there's lots that can be done with an inexpensive 1911 to personalize or customize it to your needs or wants.

here's a link to a thread, where i bought an inexpensive American Classic Commander to do a custom job with. it was bought with the intentions of customization from the beginning. should give an idea as to what can be done with some time and a little money.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/american-classic-commander-modified-75656/
A few things i want in a 1911 is realiability ie a polished feed ramp and a bored out cylinder head i think thats the term for it. i also want night sights on it and a tac rail for a flashlight/laser. The barrel rated to +P would be nice as well.
  • Courage
  • Loyalty
  • Rectitude
  • Benevolence

Guns Owned

Para USA 1911 EXPERT .45ACP

Sig Sauer P238 .380ACP

For reviews on various products check out my youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Hellfire198362

CCW map

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Old 07-25-2013, 02:01 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkaiser1989 View Post
A few things i want in a 1911 is realiability ie a polished feed ramp and a bored out cylinder head i think thats the term for it. i also want night sights on it and a tac rail for a flashlight/laser. The barrel rated to +P would be nice as well.
all of my 1911's in regards to most of the internals are pretty much OEM. they work just fine right out of the box. none have polished fed ramps other than whatever the factory did, nor do they have honed chambers. the only ones i have ever had the chambers honed on were some in the past, that were used for shooting solid lead bullets. all of my 1911's feed anything i have put through them, including my own reloads with no problems.

frame is more of an issue with +P ammo than the barrel. if a person wanted to shoot nothing but +P ammo or hot reloads, then stepping up to a little higher recoil spring would be in order. very easy change to make as well. i keep a few different recoil springs to be able to tailor the pistol to the loads i use. recoil springs are actually quite inexpensive too. the recoil spring will cushion the recoil to the frame if properly set up.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:30 AM   #37
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6557 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
all of my 1911's in regards to most of the internals are pretty much OEM. they work just fine right out of the box. none have polished fed ramps other than whatever the factory did, nor do they have honed chambers. the only ones i have ever had the chambers honed on were some in the past, that were used for shooting solid lead bullets. all of my 1911's feed anything i have put through them, including my own reloads with no problems.

frame is more of an issue with +P ammo than the barrel. if a person wanted to shoot nothing but +P ammo or hot reloads, then stepping up to a little higher recoil spring would be in order. very easy change to make as well. i keep a few different recoil springs to be able to tailor the pistol to the loads i use. recoil springs are actually quite inexpensive too. the recoil spring will cushion the recoil to the frame if properly set up.
IIRC, the Remington 1911 R1s come with a polished feed ramp. I was watching a youtube review, and someone said that. I think he said that it was not as polished as it could be, but was still polished. I'll see about getting a pic of mine.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:43 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
IIRC, the Remington 1911 R1s come with a polished feed ramp. I was watching a youtube review, and someone said that. I think he said that it was not as polished as it could be, but was still polished. I'll see about getting a pic of mine.
lots of milling machines now can produce some very slick surfaces when using the proper tooling. mine is the R1 Enhanced and the frame portion of the ramp is black and the barrel is finished quite smooth.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 07-25-2013, 02:49 AM   #39
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6557 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
lots of milling machines now can produce some very slick surfaces when using the proper tooling. mine is the R1 Enhanced and the frame portion of the ramp is black and the barrel is finished quite smooth.
Your right. I can't really tell if was actually polished, or if it was just machined. Either way it's smooth, and it feeds reliably.

Sorry, this was the best pic I could manage to get.

dscf0181scaled.jpg

And yes, I noticed I missed a spot when I was cleaning. It's already clean again.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 07-25-2013 at 02:53 AM.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:56 AM   #40

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

some people don't call $1000+ a "little money". :-) Decent smiths get about $75 an hour, altho usually they lie to you about how long a given job takes. I've done a ejection port, and a mag well bevel on a 10 minute coffee break, for instance. Used a high rpm, air driven angle grinder where i worked for the big metal removal part, then the Dremel to make it pretty. Most smiths want $80+ for those 2 jobs, and that does not include reblueing the gun, either.

I can reblue a 1911 in under an hour. You only need to sandblast the top of the slide, polish the sides of the frame and slide, the barrel where it shows thru the ejection port, and the small parts where they show. The parts only need to be in the salts solution 15 minutes, at most. Yet many a shop wants $100 to reblue a 1911, and it's something that you can learn to do in about 2 hours of watching/execution while being coached. :-) With a couple of hundred bucks worth of gear/salts, at most.