You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

m1911s what is a good one?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1060 Times on 577 Posts
Likes Given: 941

Wearing out my Colts, SAs, RIAs, Metro Arms, Rugers, will take thousands of rounds of ammo. Any of them will be good for 25,000 rounds if springs are replaced and cleaned properly. Hardly anybody shoots a gun that much. 1 in 10,000 guns maybe. So wearing out a gun is not a concern.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #22

Liked 1619 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Springfield, STI, Rock Island, Colt, Para Ord, (and even the dreaded) Taurus are all brands I've owned and had great results form.

I've had Kimbers and will not own another one unless it's dang near free. And then I'll probably trade it to some Kimber fan and get a good gun.

I've not owned the Ruger or Remington but have heard good things from people I trust that do have them

I don't like buying built to the hilt 1911. I am much more prone to buy something like a mil spec and then make the changes I want.

As others have said look for the good CS dept and a good warranty.
If I was looking to buy one today as a first one I'd be looking at a mil spec Springer or something form STI. I do like the look of the Remington though so if the price was right I"d jump on one.

The cool thing about 1911s is you can do whatever you want with them being the H U G E aftermarket. And bare in mind that like with any other firearm there are more than one type and uses for them. I can't count the people that have bought some uber cool target gun than wonder why it's not the best for carry. Carry guns are not built as tight as a good target pistol. Less places for...things to get into the more likely it is to fail if foreign debris gets in it.
So it's best to know what your needs are and then look for the pistol that best fills that need.
People Like This 
Old 07-24-2013, 12:11 AM   #23
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6584 Times on 3640 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Springfield, STI, Rock Island, Colt, Para Ord, (and even the dreaded) Taurus are all brands I've owned and had great results form.

I've had Kimbers and will not own another one unless it's dang near free. And then I'll probably trade it to some Kimber fan and get a good gun.

I've not owned the Ruger or Remington but have heard good things from people I trust that do have them

I don't like buying built to the hilt 1911. I am much more prone to buy something like a mil spec and then make the changes I want.

As others have said look for the good CS dept and a good warranty.
If I was looking to buy one today as a first one I'd be looking at a mil spec Springer or something form STI. I do like the look of the Remington though so if the price was right I"d jump on one.

The cool thing about 1911s is you can do whatever you want with them being the H U G E aftermarket. And bare in mind that like with any other firearm there are more than one type and uses for them. I can't count the people that have bought some uber cool target gun than wonder why it's not the best for carry. Carry guns are not built as tight as a good target pistol. Less places for...things to get into the more likely it is to fail if foreign debris gets in it.
So it's best to know what your needs are and then look for the pistol that best fills that need.
You've definitely got that right. I'd like to someday build my own completely custom 1911, and I think the hardest part would be just deciding what I would want. I have one of Brownells' 1911 parts catalogs, and the amount of options for the 1911 are staggering to say the least.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:03 AM   #24

Default Good 1911

The 1991 as all are aware has been made for over 100 years . And any reliability issues have been worked out.
It was a great gun to begin with. Today you get what pay for. A $400 1911 is a good gun. For $800 you can get a gun that put all rounds into a gallon jug or a person at 25 yd. Above that amount and it's personal preference and prejudice. Above $1200 is just just "my gun is better than yours or shooting matches.

In each price range there is little difference is how the gun performs. There are some differences fit and finish. If you want a gun self defense, spend $400-600 , take it to a range and put 2-3 hundred rounds through it. The more the better. You judge the quality.

I like 1911's but the most reliable gun is a revolver, and that's what I carry, since I think it's the most concealable gun, with enough stopping power. But if someone is breaking into my home I'll reaching for a double action revolver first.

Larry

T

Old 07-24-2013, 05:05 AM   #25

Default whoops

I meant to say I carry a 1911.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:18 AM   #26

Liked 589 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
no questions, colt

close second springfield armory

distant third ruger.

kimber doesnt even make my list of quality firearms much less anything in the 1911 world. im not a kimber fan.
Does not seem to be much middle ground in regard to Kimbers. I have a series 1 CDP Ultra that I absolutely love. I was in a good spot to when I traded for it, I'd handled and shot many many rounds through it over the course of several years so I knew exactly what I was getting. It's had FTE issues with cheap mags but otherwise flawless and accurate.

OP Having read what I have, if considering a Kimber it's popular opinion that the earlier series 1 pistols perform best.
Had I not gotten the deal I did on a pistol I knew a Colt or Springfield were atop my list. Kinda partial to the Springfield's myself.

Finding a way to actually shoot different models always helps once you've found manufactures that meet CS and warranty requirements you may have! Good luck on the hunt!

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:20 AM   #27

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

If you want a shooter model, without losing $500+ on the deal, don't buy any that are "GI". Get one that's already got a beavertail grip safety, big sights, speed lever on the thumb safety, overtravel stop on the trigger, an enlarged ejection port, etc.

I would get it in used condition, under $500, from a private party, and I'd be sure to testfire it before buying (or take it apart, look carefully for wear, cracks and "bubba" gunsmithing, and pay $100 less). I'd be fine with a Filipino, or Isreali version.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:24 AM   #28
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22419 Times on 12500 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i will offer up this link to a thread written by Canebrake. lotsof very good information in this thread and will point you in the right direction.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/choosing-your-first-1911-a-21860/
danf_fl Likes This 
Old 07-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #29

Liked 589 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
i will offer up this link to a thread written by Canebrake. lotsof very good information in this thread and will point you in the right direction.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/choosing-your-first-1911-a-21860/
Great thread from a great member!

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-24-2013, 06:19 AM   #30

Liked 1619 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
You've definitely got that right. I'd like to someday build my own completely custom 1911, and I think the hardest part would be just deciding what I would want. I have one of Brownells' 1911 parts catalogs, and the amount of options for the 1911 are staggering to say the least.
I'm really wanting one of the Fusion long slides. Man nothing is more sexy than a long slide 1911.
ScottA Likes This