Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Lots of new 1911s (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/lots-new-1911s-38643/)

NGIB 02-18-2011 03:03 PM

Lots of new 1911s

Personally, I love the platform but I think this quote from Larry Vickers needs to be shown from time to time. It deals with having a 1911 as your primary (or only) gun:

Quote:

That is a tough question as I feel most people are best served NOT using a 1911 as a primary sidearm. Two criteria come to mind a) A passion for the 1911 platform and b) you are willing to be your own armorer and can fix relatively minor problems or fit certain parts yourself. If you are the kind of guy that doesn’t mind tinkering with your Harley Davidson motorcycle to keep it running then you are a candidate. If however you treat your pistols like we all treat our lawnmowers then don’t get a 1911 – use a Glock.

spittinfire 02-18-2011 03:32 PM

Do I qualify as a canditate? :D

General_lee 02-18-2011 03:43 PM

I agree, the 1911 is a great gun, but not for everyone. My Springer Loaded is my primary carry when I'm at work in the gun store, but I would like to eventually get something a little lighter for all day carry on the hip.

pranc2 02-18-2011 04:58 PM

true... to me it is a sports car and should be treated as such. finely tuned machine. points naturally, sexy appeal, and shoots just as good. but i could see how a full size 1911 could be a commitment to carry everyday. but i will still own more anyway.

dunerunner 02-18-2011 05:03 PM

I haven't found anything better. Until I do, it is a 1911.

JonM 02-18-2011 08:11 PM

i think he is completely and totally off base. it isnt hard to find a smith to it parts or fix small problems if your not capable. it is one of the most common platforms smiths work on. they are far more rugged than delicate DA/SA or DAO or striker guns that rely on delicate intricate parts to function.

the guy is totally full of BS.

the 1911 is the only pistol i routinely see parts in stock for at gunshops which can often be installed on the spot.

M14sRock 02-19-2011 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 448334)
i think he is completely and totally off base. it isnt hard to find a smith to it parts or fix small problems if your not capable. it is one of the most common platforms smiths work on. they are far more rugged than delicate DA/SA or DAO or striker guns that rely on delicate intricate parts to function.

the guy is totally full of BS.

the 1911 is the only pistol i routinely see parts in stock for at gunshops which can often be installed on the spot.

Uh, Larry Vickers is one of the last guys I would say is totally full of BS.

I agree 100% with what he said, and how he said it. And at one point I had over 50 1911s, and still have about a dozen.

Shihan 02-19-2011 02:34 AM

That's why I carry a Sigma.:p;):D

JonM 02-19-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M14sRock (Post 448556)
Uh, Larry Vickers is one of the last guys I would say is totally full of BS.

I agree 100% with what he said, and how he said it. And at one point I had over 50 1911s, and still have about a dozen.

saying something as stupid as the 1911 isnt a good gun for new shooters tips my BS meter to the 100% mark pretty damn quick. at one point had an arms room chock full of ww2 issue 1911's that had fewer issues at 50+ years of use most of which were actually used in combat in the pacific and vietnam. than the recent m9 berretas. just reading the old repair logs was eye opening.

before that i was a sigp220 guy. even had a berreta 92fs of my own. when i experienced the failure rate of modern handguns in a mass environment i switched.

just because one is an expert SOG guy doesnt make them immune to saying and doing stupid things. look at bear grylls if you want a prime example. not saying he is as rock stupid as grylls just saying SOG training doesnt make one immune to stupid statements everyone makes em.

i can respect vickers for his service but that doesnt mean i trust him when he is banking his money making on his "opinions". nothing wrong with making bucks off the mall ninjas.

Ruzai 02-19-2011 03:34 PM

I'm not totally sure what to think of Larry Vickers himself, but parts of the quote are true. If you treat a 1911 like you we all do our lawn mowers then you'd be better off with a Glock. The common joe on the street who wants to own a gun to be safe but doesnt want to invest a lot of time learning about his gun's intricate workings is better off with a Block...I mean Glock.
You also have to remember Vickers was probably taught that a pistol is merely a weapon to help you get to a bigger and better gun like your rifle or shotgun. He's someone who more than likely thinks of a pistol as a secondary weapon or sidearm.