Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Loose rear sight...help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 03:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Loose rear sight...help!

So, these past few times shooting, I've noticed my sights looked a little off...

Well upon closer inspection, my rear sight on my springfield GI is loose. It's the GI style low profile non-adjustable sight.

I can press it back into place against some wood or plastic, but within a few shots it bumps loose and i can wiggle it with my fingers. maybe wiggles back and forth about 1/16th of an inch, enough to screw up my patterns at 25 feet, haha.

How can I fix this, if I press it in too far it'll be out of alignment, so i cant just do that, it wiggles around where it should be sighted in.

Is there anything I can do? I dont wanna put loctite on it or anything...do I need to take her in to a gunsmith? I'm not sure how to work this out.

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You could very slightly peen the dovetail "ears" down in order to tighten up the dovetail slot. Then you'll need to seat the site with a plastic/brass punch if you don't have a site pusher. I'd recommend you take it to a gunsmith if you're not comfortable doing so.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 02-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4471 Times on 2358 Posts
Likes Given: 255

my suggestion is contact springfield armory.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
my suggestion is contact springfield armory.
Bingo!

It's an easy fix, but it's a new pistol. Contact SA and ask them what they can do. for you. Springer's come with a lifetime warranty, use it.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-19-2010, 08:50 PM   #5

I'm not the original purchaser of this firearm, therefore I believe the warranty is useless to me.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:55 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Call Springfield customer service. They are excellent and see what they say.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-19-2010, 11:50 PM   #7

I'll contact them, but their warranty card says "Springfield, Inc. warrants to the initial retail purchaser that the products it sells will be free of defects in workmanship or material during his or her lifetime as long as he or she owns the product."

So, i dont think it'll fly seeing as I bought it used.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Strange, my Kimber has a set screw on the rear sight to keep it centered and in place.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:23 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7572 Times on 3299 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

IF it not covered by warranty, and IF there is no set screw (my Auto Ordnance has no set screw) simple fix. Remove sight. Turn it over, place in padded vise with base up. Use a pointed punch (a Stanley nail set will work) make 5 small dimples in the metal, like the 5 on a pair of dice- 2 up, 2 down, one middle. When you punch down, it RAISES a small circle of metal around the punch. Easy does it- nothing dramatic needed. Reinsert, check fit, dimple a bit more if needed.

You CAN peen edges of dovetail , or dimple slide under the sight, but gunsmith rule #2 is "Always alter the CHEAPEST part."

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:27 AM   #10

No setscrew, like I said, its the bottom of the bottom of the springers.

I sent em an email and they gave me their customer service number, and said call and they'll take care of me.