Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Loose rear sight...help! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/loose-rear-sight-help-23581/)

Dr. Marneaus 02-19-2010 04:05 AM

Loose rear sight...help!

So, these past few times shooting, I've noticed my sights looked a little off...

Well upon closer inspection, my rear sight on my springfield GI is loose. It's the GI style low profile non-adjustable sight.

I can press it back into place against some wood or plastic, but within a few shots it bumps loose and i can wiggle it with my fingers. maybe wiggles back and forth about 1/16th of an inch, enough to screw up my patterns at 25 feet, haha.

How can I fix this, if I press it in too far it'll be out of alignment, so i cant just do that, it wiggles around where it should be sighted in.

Is there anything I can do? I dont wanna put loctite on it or anything...do I need to take her in to a gunsmith? I'm not sure how to work this out.

stalkingbear 02-19-2010 03:12 PM

You could very slightly peen the dovetail "ears" down in order to tighten up the dovetail slot. Then you'll need to seat the site with a plastic/brass punch if you don't have a site pusher. I'd recommend you take it to a gunsmith if you're not comfortable doing so.

JonM 02-19-2010 04:24 PM

my suggestion is contact springfield armory.

CA357 02-19-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 232882)
my suggestion is contact springfield armory.

Bingo!

It's an easy fix, but it's a new pistol. Contact SA and ask them what they can do. for you. Springer's come with a lifetime warranty, use it.

Dr. Marneaus 02-19-2010 09:50 PM

I'm not the original purchaser of this firearm, therefore I believe the warranty is useless to me.

CA357 02-19-2010 11:55 PM

Call Springfield customer service. They are excellent and see what they say. :cool:

Dr. Marneaus 02-20-2010 12:50 AM

I'll contact them, but their warranty card says "Springfield, Inc. warrants to the initial retail purchaser that the products it sells will be free of defects in workmanship or material during his or her lifetime as long as he or she owns the product."

So, i dont think it'll fly seeing as I bought it used.

matt g 02-24-2010 07:45 PM

Strange, my Kimber has a set screw on the rear sight to keep it centered and in place.

c3shooter 02-25-2010 03:23 AM

IF it not covered by warranty, and IF there is no set screw (my Auto Ordnance has no set screw) simple fix. Remove sight. Turn it over, place in padded vise with base up. Use a pointed punch (a Stanley nail set will work) make 5 small dimples in the metal, like the 5 on a pair of dice- 2 up, 2 down, one middle. When you punch down, it RAISES a small circle of metal around the punch. Easy does it- nothing dramatic needed. Reinsert, check fit, dimple a bit more if needed.

You CAN peen edges of dovetail , or dimple slide under the sight, but gunsmith rule #2 is "Always alter the CHEAPEST part."

Dr. Marneaus 02-25-2010 03:27 AM

No setscrew, like I said, its the bottom of the bottom of the springers.

I sent em an email and they gave me their customer service number, and said call and they'll take care of me.