Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   1911 Forum (
-   -   Looking at self defense mags for Remington R1 (

potentialglock 01-14-2013 03:06 AM

Looking at self defense mags for Remington R1
So I'm looking into magazines for my 1911. I'm looking at Chip McCormick, Wilson etc. etc. My question is, my magazines are 7 rounders, but some of the ones I'm seeing are 8-rounders. Will they fit flush with the base of the grip? I don't want the magazine to be poking out of the bottom of the gun.

Marlinman 01-14-2013 03:09 AM

What size 1911 is it? My sig nightmares I had to add the mag well shrouds too to make the 8 rounders fit flush.

Jstrong 01-14-2013 03:13 AM

I was faced with the sane dilemma you are just a couple weeks ago. My Dan Wesson V-Bob came with flush fit 8-round mags from checkmate. So there are flush fit 8 rounders even though they are not very common. The reason I believe is because its hard for the springs to hold up very long in that short of mag body. Most 8 rounders are longer than standard to accommodate the extra round and spring length needed and require a basepad,which makes for a solid 8 round mag in the long term.

The big names for 8 round mags with baseplate a are wilson combat and tripp,I just ordered two 8 round tripps and a 10 round mag. I chose tripp because the part of the follower that interacts with the slide catch is reinforced with metal,so it won't wear out. I liked that notion alot.

My solution is to just carry the flush fit mag my gun came with in the gun and carry the tripp 8 round mags with the baseplate as reloads.

potentialglock 01-14-2013 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Marlinman (Post 1092797)
What size 1911 is it? My sig nightmares I had to add the mag well shrouds too to make the 8 rounders fit flush.

Full size government

Axxe55 01-14-2013 03:15 AM

my Wilson Combat 8 rounders sit flush with the bottom of the grip. same length as the most 7 round mags. they sit flush on my R1.

Marlinman 01-14-2013 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by potentialglock (Post 1092803)

Full size government

Ya most of em should sit flush. My tripps are like jstrongs and longer so I added the mag well sleeves

canebrake 01-14-2013 04:53 PM

It's a matter of physics, JMB designed the 1911 to use 7 round single stack .45 ACP ammo. That's all the room the as-designed mag void will hold. To go to the eight round capacity you need to add length to the mag tube.

If you find 8 round flush fit mags they ARE built wrong! They just shorten the spring to fit the extra round in the mag tube. This causes all sorts of feed issues. Spring bind when fully loaded, improper lift pressure due to the shortened spring and failure to present the last round properly.

As far as I can tell, all 1911 mag builders still use the 100+ year old music wire for their products. Tripp Research uses a proprietary spring material that allows the once formed spring to be stress-relieved by shot-peening.

potentialglock 01-15-2013 01:47 AM

While were discussing 1911s, can I trade out my spring and plug guide rod for a full length guide rod?