Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Looking into the 1911's (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/looking-into-1911s-34571/)

Ryanralston07 11-20-2010 02:34 PM

Looking into the 1911's

I've always wanted a 1911 .45 and now looks like the time that I can buy one. I own a few .38special US Military issue revolvers and I'm wanting a semi-automatic now for target shooting and for carrying while I hunt on my farm. I'm looking for something that I can holster and tuck away in my truck if I need it. I'm looking at getting a rail on my 1911 (I know this is near blasphemy) because we have a wildcat down here on the farm that is mauling some dogs and other things around here so the light will be functional on my gun as I do a lot of walking around at night and would rather use the light on the pistol than carrying a seperate flashlight. So with all that said, I'm not looking to spend more than $1300 with gun, light, and holster. I'd like to have something that will be fun to go target shooting and preferably with a look like the one pictured here: Tactical-Life.com Springfield Custom Professional Light Rail .45ACP

I'm looking at brands like S&W, Taurus, Sig, and Springfield. All these have a 1911 that matches what I'm looking for. So what would ya'll recommend for me?

colmustard 11-20-2010 06:49 PM

out of your choices, the springfield would be a great choice, have heard nothing but good about them, I myself have a turaus 1911 and really like it and it has been reliable, but that being said many pepole have had issues with turaus so I think it is kinda like a take your chances thing with quality, good luck with your selection.:)

General_lee 11-20-2010 06:53 PM

I'd go with the Springfield.
I own two of their 1911's, never had a bit of trouble out of em.
They have one called the Operator that has a rail.

NGIB 11-20-2010 07:18 PM

I'd vote Springer myself and I know the fella that is offering these in GA. He's good people and the railed Operator may be exactly what you're looking for...

West Georgia WTT Springfield Armory 1911's

JonM 11-20-2010 08:43 PM

ive got a springfield 1911-A1 and a colt series 70 1911. the springfields are only slightly below colt quality. they are really good guns. i dont think you will go wrong with the springer

might consider this too:

http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-q7-COLT_PISTOLS.aspx

my colt series 70 and colt new agent will both feed empty cases without trouble. doubt i will ever have ftf due to ammo.

CHLChris 11-20-2010 09:49 PM

Depending on how hard your budget # is, never forget things like:

-A range trip with at least 200 rounds to at least get started getting to know your new gun.
-Wilson magazines (at $35 or so each)
-The light could be anywhere from $75 to $300 depending on brand
-The holster (if the light is to stay attached) might have to be customized, making the leather reach closer to $100.

To stay within the budget, you may want to keep the gun to about $850, making the Springfield Armory Operator a good choice. You could get it used for that price.

culdee 11-21-2010 07:46 PM

Has anyone seen or shot the new Remingoton 1911? It looks pretty nice.

CHLChris 11-21-2010 10:59 PM

For $600, that finish looks REALLY cool! I, for one, am not an early adopter. I'd rather buy a model (of anything) that has been around a while before buying something hot off the assembly line.

But the 1911 design has been proven so strongly, I'm not sure what they could mess up. I suppose it depends on if they made any design changes. It has an internal extractor, so that's a plus.

That price is really tempting. Are they shipping and available?

4xJeeper 11-22-2010 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by culdee (Post 389881)

I have one. It's my first 1911 and it’s a great gun. I like the price point compared to my buddies Colt. The only minor thing I don’t like is you can't buy any of the accessories (8 rd mag, different grips...) directly from Remington.

Shihan 11-22-2010 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by culdee (Post 389881)

Look what I found.

Review from our very own Canebrake