looking at getting my first 1911 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > looking at getting my first 1911

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGaryM View Post
I am sincerely and completely torn on this topic. I have wanted a Wilson for years like a kid with that new bicycle he just wants. They do seem like a lot of money for a gun but they do seem nice. Elvis brings up a good point that my guns are used for self defense and I don't need a 1/2 inch group at 25 yards to do that but on the other end I work very hard for my money and do deserve to treat myself. $3,000 seems like a lot of money but it is something I will have all my life. Unfortunately a Wilson isn't something I can rent and decide for myself either. I am really torn. I can think of 1,000 reasons I should get one and 1,000 reasons on why they are too much money and a waste.

Do I need a Wilson? NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Do I want a Wilson? YES!!!!!!!!!!
This was actually my way of thinking for most of my life. The Wilsons did not intrigue me....Until I played with one.

I'm a died in the wool Colt fanboy (in 1911's) because I've never had one out of spec. Ever. Plenty of SAI's are out of spec, as are some Kimbers I've seen. But my good friend's TRP Operator is one of the nicest pistols I've ever used, and it was les than $1400.

Colts have always been GTG to me, and easy to upgrade as desired. The Wilsons, NH's, LB's, etc don't need the work done. They are "done" when they arrive.

All that aside, my Wilson is here to stay. And it may be joined by another Wilson, NH or LB in the days to come. Just because they rock, and I appreciate the quality.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #22

I have just bought an STI Spartan, it has adjustable sights and is a great target pistol.
Check them out, for the price they are well worth it.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datam View Post
I have just bought an STI Spartan, it has adjustable sights and is a great target pistol.
Check them out, for the price they are well worth it.
Great value in high end 1911's. STI will not sell in CA, though, so I gott get them on the used market here.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I work on jet engines. All military jet engines have MIM parts and repair parts in them and work. NO ONE can tell me kimber sucks because of mim parts. It's the quality of the mim that matters. If they do their jon, mim is great, same goes for anything.

The only thing I would suggest is to get a full size 5" 1911. IF you are going to carry it though, I have a 4" KIMBERRRRRRR for sale for less than $800 shipped and it has night sights.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I work on jet engines. All military jet engines have MIM parts and repair parts in them and work. NO ONE can tell me kimber sucks because of mim parts. It's the quality of the mim that matters. If they do their jon, mim is great, same goes for anything.

The only thing I would suggest is to get a full size 5" 1911. IF you are going to carry it though, I have a 4" KIMBERRRRRRR for sale for less than $800 shipped and it has night sights.
My beef with Kimber is the cosmetic blems they are happy to send high end guns out with. MIM parts can be changed, but Kimbers don't always like the replacement parts.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 10-11-2010, 11:29 PM   #26

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisIsDead View Post
A Wilson to me is just a "Penis Extension" gun. I have shot a couple of them, Nighthawks and Ed Browns too.
Jealously runs deep in this post. No one who has ever shot my Nighthawk had anything but praise afterwards. *shrug*

Quote:
The 2nd Amendment wasn't written so we can shoot 1/2 inch groups in a piece of paper at 25+ yards.
Really? You were there and knew what they had in mind? Because we can use someone like you in Washington to iron out a few problems we have with people thinking they know what it was all about.

Seriously? Do you think the Founding Fathers, all of whom were WELL HEELED in their time, would not have had the VERY best available to them?

Old 10-11-2010, 11:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Seriously? Do you think the Founding Fathers, all of whom were WELL HEELED in their time, would not have had the VERY best available to them?
How many history books have you read where any of the Founding Fathers were shooting at a range with their gun sitting on a rest shooting paper targets like they do in the Wilson tests? If I were a betting man I'd put $10 on an answer of NONE. My guess is George Washington didn't own a sand bag rest, shooting bench or a chronograph. Do any of today's Military troops receive Wilson, Night Hawk or Ed Brown as issue weapons?

A wilson is a great gun for the purpose it serves in competition shooting but you do not need it for self defense. The dead guy won't know if he was shot with a $3,500 Wilson or a $800 Springfield.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #28

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

It's simple really. Some folks can afford high end guns and they enjoy them - so what? If you're happy with an inexpensive 1911, that's great, but to insult folks by saying they need one to make up for other shortcomings is just crass in my book. Jealousy is indeed a bitch...

Old 10-12-2010, 12:03 AM   #29

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
How many history books have you read where any of the Founding Fathers were shooting at a range with their gun sitting on a rest shooting paper targets like they do in the Wilson tests? If I were a betting man I'd put $10 on an answer of NONE. My guess is George Washington didn't own a sand bag rest, shooting bench or a chronograph.
Ridiculous.

FACT: You don't know what any of the Founding Fathers WOULD have done if technology was available AT THE TIME.

You think that Henry Ford was any less brilliant because he didn't design with composite, high tech polymers, electronics and CNC tolerances? You think his first 10 designs would have looked the same if he had other mediums to work with?

Ben Franklin couldn't have done ANY better on his, what - several dozen worthwhile inventions, with modern skills and technology??

To limit yourself to thinking that anyone is history did what they did, with what they had, and would not have made any other impact with modern tech is completely jaded.

Quote:
Do any of today's Military troops receive Wilson, Night Hawk or Ed Brown as issue weapons?
This statement is laughable because you don't know the can you just opened. I am going to flag this for Jack, because he can speak with 100% accuracy of what special teams do, and do not, have access to for their missions.

But to say that today's military doesn't buy the best of the best. Well, I would have to have you talk to Ronnie Barrett, The Chandler Brothers, The folks from H&K and a few other "not entry level" makers of modern arms.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:32 AM   #30

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

I'm your huckleberry!

Quote:
A Wilson to me is just a "Penis Extension" gun.
LOL...well hell, that would place me in the very above average class of "Penis Envy" then there Elvis, cause I got one, and it has seen a lot of sport and range shooting action. Along with the Springers, Para's, RIA's, S&W and Colt 1911's I am rumored to own.

As far as a .45 is concerned, it has always functioned flawlessly and is as accurate to any target, paper or human, I have pointed it at. I don't believe in "safe queens" and I shoot and carry all my handguns at one time or another. That said, IMHO, it is a damn premium, pricey and precisely machined built handgun, as any Nighthawk and Ed Brown, and it continues to this day, to do what it's supposed to do...it just does it a little bit better than my rumored Springers, Para's, RIA's, S&W and Colt 1911's.

Quote:
Do any of today's Military troops receive Wilson, Night Hawk or Ed Brown as issue weapons?
Straight answer, no they are not issued the high end built, name brand 1911's that you have listed, but there are other high end weapons offered at times, that I am not at liberty at this time to share. SF members do, and quite often choose to carry, their own personal carry weapons and are solely responsible for them and the weapon's ammo needs. They must also meet The Hague Convention standards which forbids expanding bullets, ie. no hollow points.

Special Ops units may carry the same weapons as regular units or may be equipped with special armaments in addition to or instead of the TOE issue. Complete, specialized weapons systems as well as add-ons such as flash suppressors, silencers, and advanced optical or electronic gear are all possibilities, designed to give tactical surprise, leverage, and advantage to the force. Standard equipment that has been modified (for example, noise suppressed) is sometimes referred to as "SOPMOD" Special Operations Peculiar Modified.

Handguns

M9 Beretta

The US Army's standard sidearm, the 9mm beretta is used by Rangers and other SOF units.
more info: M9 Beretta

Colt 1911

This venerable .45 was Delta's favorite pistol for many year.
more info: Colt 1911

MEU(SOC) pistol

Modified version of the Colt 1911, developed for the USMC info: MEU(SOC) pistol

Sig Sauer P226 / P228

9mm pistols carried by Navy SEALs and SWCCs. info: Sig Sauer P226 / P228

Assault Rifles / Carbines
M4A1

ubiquitous US Army carbine available with a selection of accessories
more info : M4A1 carbine

M4 CQBR

also known as the MK 18 Mod 0, this shortened version of the M4A1 is a favorite within the NSW community
HK416

specially developed for Delta Force by German gunsmiths, Heckler and Koch
more info: HK416

MK16 Mod 0 SCAR

A newly-developed series of 5.56mm assault rifles, carbines and light sniper rifles *(Discontinued)*
more info: MK 16 Mod 0

MK17 Mod 0 SCAR

A family of 7.62mm carbines, assault rifles and light sniper rifles
more info: MK 17 Mod 0

MK 14 Mod 0 Enhanced Battle Rifle

A modernized M-14 rifle in use with the SEALs.

US Special Operations | Weapons

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Closed Thread