Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Looking to get my first 1911 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/looking-get-my-first-1911-a-74437/)

DoyleTheDog 10-16-2012 02:56 PM

Looking to get my first 1911

As the title says, I'm looking to get a 1911 and I'd like some input from you fine folks. Looking at either a Colt or Springfield and I do not want one with target sites. The pistol will be used for everything from a range gun to SD and HD. Was looking at the Colt XSE series and Springfield Loaded series. Last detail is I definitely want steel. As always, any help is appreciated.

silverado113 10-16-2012 03:03 PM

Colt....end of conversation. :D Everyone should own a Colt :D

drvsafe 10-16-2012 04:26 PM

I'm loving my SIG 1911 Nitron. They're worth checking out IMO.

DoyleTheDog 10-16-2012 05:58 PM

Thanks drvsafe, but I'm really only looking at Colts and Springfields. Not really big on the Sig 1911s. Just my personal preference.

kytowboater 10-16-2012 06:01 PM

I think your choices either way you go will be fantastic. I would love to have both the loaded model and the XSE.

danf_fl 10-16-2012 06:22 PM

Go for the best you can afford.

If I were looking for another, I would consider the Springfield Armory Range Officer.

drvsafe 10-16-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoyleTheDog (Post 978958)
Thanks drvsafe, but I'm really only looking at Colts and Springfields. Not really big on the Sig 1911s. Just my personal preference.

It's alright I won't hold it against you. What's your price range?

DoyleTheDog 10-16-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drvsafe (Post 978995)
It's alright I won't hold it against you. What's your price range?

haha thank you for that. I'm looking in the ballpark of $1100, maybe a little more if need be.

Ultimate_sig 10-16-2012 06:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoyleTheDog
As the title says, I'm looking to get a 1911 and I'd like some input from you fine folks. Looking at either a Colt or Springfield and I do not want one with target sites. The pistol will be used for everything from a range gun to SD and HD. Was looking at the Colt XSE series and Springfield Loaded series. Last detail is I definitely want steel. As always, any help is appreciated.

Ive had the xse, verr nice pistol but i chose to stick with my sig tac ops. The xse is very good when it comes to reliability, the xse is said to be as reliable as a glock. It can fire when wet, dirty, with mud it in. Now i never tried that but did my research on it. The xse is an outstanding pistol. My sig is better, it is slightly more accurate, has the same reliability, and had everything i wanted stock. I wanted extended mag release, night sights, metal msh, mag well, a rail and a crisp trigger. I loved my colt and plan to get another but there were a few problems i had; the msh was plastic, the mag release is very short, doesnt come with night sights, theyre mags seem very flimsy. The sig mags would match the quality of wilson imo. So if you do get an xse you will not be dissapointed but while looking check out the sig tac ops as an added plus to all of the features it comes with 4 mags

Attachment 64725

Attachment 64726

drvsafe 10-16-2012 07:00 PM

People go on and on about Colts, and for good reason I'm sure, but in my price range I was looking at a 1991A1, and it's just too basic of a model for me.

I really like the SA "Loaded", it was on my shortlist of potentials when I was shopping. Then I checked out the TRP also which I loved, but it was out of my budget. I preferred it due to the front strap checking, which you don't see on the Loaded or Range Officer. Now, that's the main reason why I opted for the SIG, I bought a TacPac; 3 mags, and the pistol has the rest of the hardware I wanted; Match barrel, hammer and sear and a lifetime warranty. I am missing one or two things, full sized guide rod, the ambidextrous thumb safety, night sights, but those are things I can do further on up the road.