Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Looking for advice on a 1911 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/looking-advice-1911-a-24423/)

Ranger3763 03-09-2010 02:55 PM

Looking for advice on a 1911

I shot my buddy's Kimber Pro Shadow recently and fell in love with it. I have since decided that my next purchase will be a 1911 but I'm trying to figure out which brand suits me best. I've decided that I'd like one with a four inch barrel for ease of carry. I welcome all advice and comments that will help me make an educated decision. The weapon I've been leaning towards lately is the Springfield Champion but just heard that it may have ammo issues (feeding.....this was one guy, would like to hear more). Kimber, Colt, Springfield....any info helps. This weapon's primary use will be for personsal protection while out and about.

NGIB 03-09-2010 03:03 PM

There are basically 2 styles of 4 inch 1911s available; the traditional bushed barrel 4.25 inch Colt Commander (and the Para LTC), and the 4 inch bull barrel models from Kimber, Springer, Rock Island, etc.

I have always preferred a bushed barrel gun as this is how JMB designed them. I have had the bull barrel guns (have one now in fact) and they are OK. The vast majority of feeding problems with 1911 tie back to cheap or bad mags - I've never had a cranky one but then again I don't own cheap factory mags...

traviSS396 03-09-2010 04:44 PM

I would stay with the bushing style barrel. Also something to keep in mind is that all new Kimbers that say "series II" have a funny non-standard safety inside them. That might not matter if you don't plan on messing with it. Also the new colts that are marked series 80 have a similar odd style safety. For a first gun i would spring for a nice series I kimber or a pre-70 Colt, that way you have more possibilities for things to do to the gun. Normally 5" and 4 1/4" are considered the only length barrels to go with if you want reliability. It was meant to have a 5 inch barrel, It was modified slightly to facilitate the 4 1/4". the 4" barrels look sweet! i Love the Kimber Pro series, i just don't know what i think about that bull barrel.

JonM 03-09-2010 04:45 PM

always take reports of semi-auto pistols misfeeding with salt shakers. any semi-auto pistol will misfeed if the user is a limp wrister.

NGIB 03-09-2010 04:50 PM

I own 1911s with and without the firing pin block (what Colt calls series 80) and I don't care either way. The FPB adds a linked lever that's operated by either the trigger or the grip safety - but I see it as a moot point.

Some folks will tell you it affects the trigger pull - doesn't on mine...

traviSS396 03-09-2010 04:53 PM

I would probably go with whichever gun you want. More than likely, if you go with most any $1000ish 1911 you probably won't have any real issues out of it. If for some reason you do, normally, companies are eager for you to send the gun back for them to fix it. I would probably buy the gun, put a couple hundred rounds through it, then decide what you like, what you don't, and if there are any operating issues. You could have a gunsmith do a basic clean up and buff to everything and that would probably make a huge difference.

traviSS396 03-09-2010 05:09 PM

the series 80 or kimber series II and i think springfield? has a non-typical safety.
There's nothing wrong with them, and they are actually supposed to be safer, i just wouldn't recommend a gun with one to someone who is planning on using the gun to build or heavily modify. If one was to buy the gun and not change anything than it doesnt make any difference at all. Unless one of those parts breaks i guess?

canebrake 03-13-2010 03:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hands down, the Colt Lightweight Commander

Model 04860XSE

AlexInAtlanta 03-14-2010 07:28 PM

Hi guys;
Just signed up today, and the lead question of this thread relates to what my own question was going to be.
A month ago I bought a Colt Gold Cup .45 (Series 80). Went into the store to buy a Kimber but fell drop-dead in love with the Colt trigger.
Got talking to the gunsmith at the store and decided to have the trigger massaged to a straight 3.5 lbs, and to have the barrel and slide honed for a tighter fit (i.e., less wobble).
Too late now because the gun's ready for pick-up this week, but did I make a mistake, waste money, or all of the above?
Thanks ....

NGIB 03-14-2010 08:06 PM

I've never seen a loose Gold Cup but if you're happy with the results - it's all good...