Looking for a 1911 Platform Chamber in 9mm - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

Looking for a 1911 Platform Chamber in 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #31
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 22315 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
Almost all training courses want you to concentrate on the front sight. They repeat it over and over. Hard to do when you don't have one.
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
They repeat utter nonsense
Pull a weapon in a close up life & death situation & be dam sure you look for the front sight--
BANG- Too late--------------------
Originally Posted by md1911 View Post
Amen.,.......... if he's in your face your gun will be in his belly when you pull it. Bont think I would need to aim anywhere under 10 feet for sure just point and shoot.
let's see, stressful life or death situation, adrenaline is flowing, blood pressure is high, nerves are frayed, heartbeat is racing, yeah i'm sure a person will remember some sort of training they took. i would be much more likely to resort to my natural instincts to survive. point and shoot and keep firing until threat is eliminated. practice, practice and more practice. i practice at 5 yards and less for up close and personal. i don't concentrate on sights, just the center mass of the target.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #32
Liked 368 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 178

I wish I had the answer. Blue Press is a publication from Dillon Percision and they had a good (& humorous) article on the Army's Next Combat Pistol. The focus was on the quest for a system to keep soldiers from shooting themselves in the foot or leg with. Not exactly a high standard but they have been dealing w this since WWI and the song remains the same.

I was an Army Officer in Desert Storm and I lost count of how many times I heard a clearing barrel sing from yet another, unloaded weapon, going off. Thankfully, no one was hurt.

I was disheartened to read about the LEOs having difficulties qualifying. I have a friend, LEO in TN who told me similar stories but the percentage was significantly smaller. It's been my experience that people in the South just shoot straighter. I will apologize in advance if that observation ruins your day.

I read about the FBI using special ammo so officers could practice firing at real tgts. No idea how that worked out or if they still do it but if you remove the 1986 shoot out, they do have impressive statistics.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #33
Liked 1015 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 835

What if you are in Wally World or Krogers and POW POW the shots are going off. A place like that is prime to shoot lots of people. Whakkos ya know. Two fruitcakes are randomly shooting everybody. The best thing to do is grab your family if your with them and get the hell gone. I couldn't just leave listening to the screams of people. I"m no hero and would be rich at that time as I would **** golden bricks. But I would have to try and stop the carnage. A gun with sights will be way better than some point and shoot piece of crap. You round an aisle shaking like a leaf and see an idiot getting ready to shoot an old woman or a child: distance 20-25 yds. your point and shoot is worthless. I can take one of my 3-3 1/2" 45s with sights and kill him if I can concentrate on the front sight. Not all shoot the bad guys are gonna be point and shoot at 3'. Besides my wife and I seperate when we enter the store and I will find here and shoot the bad guy if I can. That just may be my 64 yr old woman he's getting ready to shoot. I just want any self defense gun be as useful as possible in more than one situation. It's all speculation anyway as MOST of us will never be in any life or death situation. THANK GOD!!!