Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > locked and loaded question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default locked and loaded question

Okay first and formost, we have no kids, both of us are well trained in firearms safety, so here is my question.
With my new 1911, is it okay to leave it cocked with the hammer back all the time, or will this hurt the spring?
Being new to the 1911 family I dont have a clue.
The kimber I own has a 1/4 cock but I dont feel comfortable releasing the hammer on a loaded round.
Any help would be greatful.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

You'll be just fine. Springs only wear from cycling...

Old 02-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #3

Liked 4450 Times on 2348 Posts
Likes Given: 254

wont hurt it a bit. it was designed to be carried and kept full time in that fashion.

springs only wear when being used. leaving them compressed or relaxed makes no difference. it is the compression or decrompression cycle itself that causes springs to go bad overtime. this apllies to all springs in any application guns watches cars airplanes submarines boats toys magazine clips whatever.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #4

Thanks guys, I feel better knowing this.