Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > loading rounds without a magazine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default loading rounds without a magazine

Ok I remember reading somewhere way back that you are not suppose to put place a round individually into the chamber and letting the slide slam shut. My understanding is that a round has to be striped from a magazine or the ejector will weaken and break. I'm taking this as truth because it was from manual not internet chatter, but can someone please explain to me why exactly this is???

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
Ok I remember reading somewhere way back that you are not suppose to put place a round individually into the chamber and letting the slide slam shut. My understanding is that a round has to be striped from a magazine or the ejector will weaken and break. I'm taking this as truth because it was from manual not internet chatter, but can someone please explain to me why exactly this is???
Letting the extractor (not the ejector) snap over the cartridge rim is not good as it can and will damage and/or break the extractor...

Old 02-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #3

I understand this is not a good thing. but I an trying to understand why. What is it about mechanics? Is the extractor in a different position when it is stripping a round into the chamber. i always assumed that the extractor snapped over the rim of a round even on a round over the magazine. If this is the case how is it any different from snapping over the rim of a round already chambered.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

As it was explained to me; when the slide strips a round from the magazine the rim of the round slides up under the extractor. This means the extractor is never forced out around the rim as it would be if you slam the slide on a chambered round.

Did that make sense?

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 02-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
I understand this is not a good thing. but I an trying to understand why. What is it about mechanics? Is the extractor in a different position when it is stripping a round into the chamber. i always assumed that the extractor snapped over the rim of a round even on a round over the magazine. If this is the case how is it any different from snapping over the rim of a round already chambered.
Negative. The round slides up the breech face and under the rim of the extractor...

Old 02-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #6

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Never load the chamber of your 1911 by dropping a round through the ejection port and into the chamber, then closing the slide. This forces the extractor to snap over the rim of the cartridge, which could cause later problems. John Browning designed the gun to have cartridges slide up the breech face and under the hook of the extractor.

Loading principles of operation

Ejection Perfection

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-25-2010, 01:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Never load the chamber of your 1911 by dropping a round through the ejection port and into the chamber, then closing the slide. This forces the extractor to snap over the rim of the cartridge, which could cause later problems. John Browning designed the gun to have cartridges slide up the breech face and under the hook of the extractor.

Loading principles of operation

Ejection Perfection
Now that dude Cane has agreed to one of my technical posts - I shall now retire and drink mojitos.

If Robo & Cane ever agree together, will I be elevated to sainthood?

Last edited by NGIB; 02-25-2010 at 01:59 PM.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:06 PM   #8

Thanks all. I understand and appreciate.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #9

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Now that dude Cane has agreed to one of my technical posts - I shall now retire and drink mojitos.

I don't know about sainthood, but you were correct, and I do concur, and as for Robo, he should be around shortly, I believe.......

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-25-2010, 03:53 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2260 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post

Robo signing in to cannonize NGIB. I concur whole heartedly.

Thread now dead!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball