Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   loading rounds without a magazine (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/loading-rounds-without-magazine-23831/)

gadrooning 02-25-2010 01:17 PM

loading rounds without a magazine

Ok I remember reading somewhere way back that you are not suppose to put place a round individually into the chamber and letting the slide slam shut. My understanding is that a round has to be striped from a magazine or the ejector will weaken and break. I'm taking this as truth because it was from manual not internet chatter, but can someone please explain to me why exactly this is???

NGIB 02-25-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadrooning (Post 236353)
Ok I remember reading somewhere way back that you are not suppose to put place a round individually into the chamber and letting the slide slam shut. My understanding is that a round has to be striped from a magazine or the ejector will weaken and break. I'm taking this as truth because it was from manual not internet chatter, but can someone please explain to me why exactly this is???

Letting the extractor (not the ejector) snap over the cartridge rim is not good as it can and will damage and/or break the extractor...

gadrooning 02-25-2010 01:36 PM

I understand this is not a good thing. but I an trying to understand why. What is it about mechanics? Is the extractor in a different position when it is stripping a round into the chamber. i always assumed that the extractor snapped over the rim of a round even on a round over the magazine. If this is the case how is it any different from snapping over the rim of a round already chambered.

Jo da Plumbr 02-25-2010 01:38 PM

As it was explained to me; when the slide strips a round from the magazine the rim of the round slides up under the extractor. This means the extractor is never forced out around the rim as it would be if you slam the slide on a chambered round.

Did that make sense?

NGIB 02-25-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadrooning (Post 236361)
I understand this is not a good thing. but I an trying to understand why. What is it about mechanics? Is the extractor in a different position when it is stripping a round into the chamber. i always assumed that the extractor snapped over the rim of a round even on a round over the magazine. If this is the case how is it any different from snapping over the rim of a round already chambered.

Negative. The round slides up the breech face and under the rim of the extractor...

canebrake 02-25-2010 01:52 PM

Never load the chamber of your 1911 by dropping a round through the ejection port and into the chamber, then closing the slide. This forces the extractor to snap over the rim of the cartridge, which could cause later problems. John Browning designed the gun to have cartridges slide up the breech face and under the hook of the extractor.

Loading principles of operation

Ejection Perfection

NGIB 02-25-2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 236370)
Never load the chamber of your 1911 by dropping a round through the ejection port and into the chamber, then closing the slide. This forces the extractor to snap over the rim of the cartridge, which could cause later problems. John Browning designed the gun to have cartridges slide up the breech face and under the hook of the extractor.

Loading principles of operation

Ejection Perfection

Now that dude Cane has agreed to one of my technical posts - I shall now retire and drink mojitos.

If Robo & Cane ever agree together, will I be elevated to sainthood?

gadrooning 02-25-2010 02:06 PM

Thanks all. I understand and appreciate.

IGETEVEN 02-25-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 236372)
Now that dude Cane has agreed to one of my technical posts - I shall now retire and drink mojitos.

I don't know about sainthood, but you were correct, and I do concur, and as for Robo, he should be around shortly, I believe.......

Jack

robocop10mm 02-25-2010 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 236372)

Robo signing in to cannonize NGIB. I concur whole heartedly.

Thread now dead!