Let's see some 1911's - Page 139
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Let's see some 1911's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #1381
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazvet View Post
I finally got my first 1911!!! I can't wait to shoot her. S&W E' series
Awsome first pistol, but you set yourself up. U out picked up a high end first piece, now you won't accept anything lesser now......lol

Sent from my SM-N900P using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 03-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #1382
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2146 Times on 1345 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazvet View Post
I finally got my first 1911!!! I can't wait to shoot her. S&W E' series
Very nice, enjoy....!

Old 03-06-2014, 06:32 PM   #1383

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkaiser1989 View Post
got a buddy that has one these great 1911. your gonna have issues with after market parts tho alot of fitting was needed for his beavertail safety and his comander hammer. just a fyi.

Thanks for the heads up! Shot it last weekend and so far 100 rds no issues. I don't plan on changing anything at this point . Maybe a wrap around grip.
This gun is a shooter!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 03-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #1384

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Just picked up this Dan Wesson Vbob.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Firearms Talk mobile app
1394562430914.jpg   1394562443893.jpg   1394562457908.jpg  
otisthecat Likes This 
Old 03-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #1385

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wow, how much did it run ya...if you don't mind me asking? It's a great looking gun, my next one will be blue'ed

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 03-11-2014, 10:36 PM   #1386

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

These run about $1800. Its not really blue'd , its called the duty treatment, aferritic nitrocarburizing metal treatment that is much more durable than blueing. You should look into a Dan Wesson before you buy. At the very least hold a vbob and then make up your mind. You can just feel the quality. Its all steel thru and thru, the worst part in a DW is an Ed Brown part and that is saying something.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 03-14-2014, 03:17 AM   #1387
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 67 Times on 47 Posts

Had an interesting day.

Was at the range weekend before last and had a problem with a Kel-Tec PLR-22 plinker that started to jam like crazy after the third mag.

I put it away and while cleaning afterward, I found damage on the lower feed ramp which had somehow been gouged (no jokes about the price I paid for .22LR ammo please). I'm no expert but it didn't seem to make sense how brass, copper, or lead could cause a gouge in a steel feed ramp? The ramp should be hardened steel, right?

Regardless, I called a highly recommended local gunsmith and met with him today. Luckily, the PLR's problem will be an easy fix and it'll be nice to have it fluffed and buffed by a professional.

But this is a 1911 thread right? So why all that back story? Well, I'm trying to hone some writing skills first of all and thought you, as the reader, might want to share an opinion as to how a steel lower feed ramp could be damaged by a brass casing and/or copper plated lead projectile? I'd appreciate your thoughts. I also wanted to use it as a lead in to the next part of this post.

Since I've never been to a gunsmith for work of any kind before, I figured I'd bring my mini-1911 Llama .22LR with me. I believe it's a model XV. I've owned this gun for almost 20 years and have shot it many times. Even so, the gun will not handle HP's well and I was always bothered as to why the gun never retained a slide locked backward position once the magazine was empty. I've read a lot about this model and know they're not top of the line. Even so, from the serial number it appears to have been manufactured in 1974. It's a great looking gun (per the gunsmith today, it's a 95%'er). It's great to plink with, and it's an excellent starter pistol for when I take a newbie to the range as long as it's behaving.

Just guessing, but my gunsmith has been in business for 40+ years. His eyes lit up when he saw this gun and I was surprised to hear him say he had one too. I explained how much I like it but I was wanting a professional to take this one down to the nub to see what, if anything other than a detailed cleaning was needed. After all, I was checking some websites and could make a tidy profit off of it if I decided to put it up for sale. But, I don't want to sell something that's not fully functional without full disclosure.

His response to me was unexpected. He asked if I sold it, what would I replace it with? I said another .22 semi. Thinking maybe I would use the proceeds as an opportunity to modernize and get a Ruger, Sig, Walther, etc. He then asked me if I thought a newer model would look as good, shoot as well, feel as comfortable, etc. vs. the Llama. Honestly, I didn't know how to respond. Like I said, I've put numerous rounds through this gun, it's easy on the eyes, fits the hand well, and is becoming more scarce with each passing year. To that end, he said he'd disassemble, clean and thoroughly evaluate it for me but from where he sat, it was in excellent condition and I'd be crazy to let this one go.

So there you have it. I'm truly interested in your opinion. Should I keep it, modernize, or both?

I know there are Llama haters in the world and if you want to criticize, it's your right. To everyone else, I just wanted to share some joy I had today learning what I thought was the lowliest piece in my collection was actually a bit of a gem. What are your thoughts on the situation?

I'll post a "glamour shot" once I get it back next week.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 03-14-2014, 03:32 AM   #1388
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 689 Times on 457 Posts

Buy a new one and keep the old one. Simple!

Old 03-14-2014, 03:32 AM   #1389
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22220 Times on 12454 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by toroboy View Post
Had an interesting day.

Was at the range weekend before last and had a problem with a Kel-Tec PLR-22 plinker that started to jam like crazy after the third mag.

I put it away and while cleaning afterward, I found damage on the lower feed ramp which had somehow been gouged (no jokes about the price I paid for .22LR ammo please). I'm no expert but it didn't seem to make sense how brass, copper, or lead could cause a gouge in a steel feed ramp? The ramp should be hardened steel, right?

Regardless, I called a highly recommended local gunsmith and met with him today. Luckily, the PLR's problem will be an easy fix and it'll be nice to have it fluffed and buffed by a professional.

But this is a 1911 thread right? So why all that back story? Well, I'm trying to hone some writing skills first of all and thought you, as the reader, might want to share an opinion as to how a steel lower feed ramp could be damaged by a brass casing and/or copper plated lead projectile? I'd appreciate your thoughts. I also wanted to use it as a lead in to the next part of this post.

Since I've never been to a gunsmith for work of any kind before, I figured I'd bring my mini-1911 Llama .22LR with me. I believe it's a model XV. I've owned this gun for almost 20 years and have shot it many times. Even so, the gun will not handle HP's well and I was always bothered as to why the gun never retained a slide locked backward position once the magazine was empty. I've read a lot about this model and know they're not top of the line. Even so, from the serial number it appears to have been manufactured in 1974. It's a great looking gun (per the gunsmith today, it's a 95%'er). It's great to plink with, and it's an excellent starter pistol for when I take a newbie to the range as long as it's behaving.

Just guessing, but my gunsmith has been in business for 40+ years. His eyes lit up when he saw this gun and I was surprised to hear him say he had one too. I explained how much I like it but I was wanting a professional to take this one down to the nub to see what, if anything other than a detailed cleaning was needed. After all, I was checking some websites and could make a tidy profit off of it if I decided to put it up for sale. But, I don't want to sell something that's not fully functional without full disclosure.

His response to me was unexpected. He asked if I sold it, what would I replace it with? I said another .22 semi. Thinking maybe I would use the proceeds as an opportunity to modernize and get a Ruger, Sig, Walther, etc. He then asked me if I thought a newer model would look as good, shoot as well, feel as comfortable, etc. vs. the Llama. Honestly, I didn't know how to respond. Like I said, I've put numerous rounds through this gun, it's easy on the eyes, fits the hand well, and is becoming more scarce with each passing year. To that end, he said he'd disassemble, clean and thoroughly evaluate it for me but from where he sat, it was in excellent condition and I'd be crazy to let this one go.

So there you have it. I'm truly interested in your opinion. Should I keep it, modernize, or both?

I know there are Llama haters in the world and if you want to criticize, it's your right. To everyone else, I just wanted to share some joy I had today learning what I thought was the lowliest piece in my collection was actually a bit of a gem. What are your thoughts on the situation?

I'll post a "glamour shot" once I get it back next week.

IMO, if you are pleased with the gun, shoot well with it, and it fits you well, i see no need to sell it off only to replace it with something newer that may leave you with regrets in selling the older Llama, that you liked. nothing wrong with getting something newer, but not at the expense of the pistol you enjoy so much. just keep the Llama and buy something newer to add into your collection.

the only guns i sell or trade are those which do not meet my expectations i have when i buy them, for whatever reason. over the past several years, i have sold or traded very few, simply because i do quite a bit of research before ever buying in the first place. but once one hits my collection and i am pleased with it and it meets my expectations, it's a keeper.
HOSSFLY Likes This 
Old 03-14-2014, 02:02 PM   #1390

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Picked up a Springer RO yesterday- Very impressed so far-

Threetango Likes This