Let's see some 1911's - Page 130
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Let's see some 1911's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 07:17 AM   #1291
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

2012 production Gold Cup Trophy.

gct-p.jpg  
Old 01-23-2014, 07:16 PM   #1292

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default 1917 Colt

Here is my 1917 Colt with WW1 holster, lanyard and magazine. All parts are USGI and appear original to the pistol, and are appropriately marked with expected inspection stamps/proofs....

Old 01-29-2014, 02:22 PM   #1293

Location: In a little town on the east coast of Florida across the river from the VAB.
Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Sig GSR TTT

Sig Platinum Elite Carry

Kimber Pro Carry SLE series 1

Kimber Pro CDP series 1

Very nice guns! Point of fact: There is no designation as Series I. The original Kimbers had no such designation nor does Kimber refer to them as such. The SLE was a pre Pro Carry HD. The initials stand for Special Limited Edition. This is Kimbers way of testing the waters when the company is thinking of adding a new handgun to their line. By using this designation if the buying public doesn't bite then they do not have to "drop" a gun from their line. They simply don't make more and the series runs out. Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in. If I've stated the obvious I meant no disrespect.

John

Old 01-30-2014, 03:15 AM   #1294

Location: In a little town on the east coast of Florida across the river from the VAB.

Default My 2 Kimbers

My First Kimber. Domino, Pro Carry HD II, .45ACP

Domino, Port Side.

Domino, Starboard Side

My Second Kimber, Jazz, Pro Cary SLE, .45ACP

Jazz, Port Side.

Jazz, Starboard Side

These Are My Ladies. My Lovely Wife Sometimes Refers To Them As My Mistresses.

John

Old 01-30-2014, 08:02 AM   #1295

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Why does the safety and slide stop on your first pick looked like it was hammered with something?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 01-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #1296

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRunner View Post
Why does the safety and slide stop on your first pick looked like it was hammered with something?
If you look closely at the enlarged picture you'll see that the trigger shoe, hammer and grip safety also have this appearance. What you can't see is that the ends of the barrel,guide rod and guide rod bushing look the same.

At one time these parts (sans a different trigger shoe) and the flats of the slide and frame also looked hammered along with the grip screws..

A long time ago I saw an article in some magazine about how to do those circular swirls often seen on custom VW Bug aluminum dashboards> That technique used a wooden dowel chucked in a drill press and valve grinding compound. Put a little VGC on the aluminum plate and lower the dowel. The result was a swirl. I tried that on a trigger shoe way back then but found that I could not make a straight line and it looked crappy. So I gave up on the idea.

Fast forward to last year. I had polished the sides lo the slide and frame on Domino but that mirror like finish showed every little scratch! Well I found an old used nub of a Dremel end brush in some old stuff of my late father's and it got me to wondering. So I chucked it up in my Dremel tool, put some course polishing compound on it and started tapping the end of the brush on the polished slide. The result is what you see in the pic. Depending on a few different factors the pattern can be dots or squiggly lines.

The coolest part of the finish is that when the gun is held and moved around in the light the pattern looks 3D and seems to move with parts of it disappearing. I think that it's a very cool finish, even if it is a bit flashy.

Thanks for asking.

John
Old 01-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #1297

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelonegunman View Post
If you look closely at the enlarged picture you'll see that the trigger shoe, hammer and grip safety also have this appearance. What you can't see is that the ends of the barrel,guide rod and guide rod bushing look the same.

At one time these parts (sans a different trigger shoe) and the flats of the slide and frame also looked hammered along with the grip screws..

A long time ago I saw an article in some magazine about how to do those circular swirls often seen on custom VW Bug aluminum dashboards> That technique used a wooden dowel chucked in a drill press and valve grinding compound. Put a little VGC on the aluminum plate and lower the dowel. The result was a swirl. I tried that on a trigger shoe way back then but found that I could not make a straight line and it looked crappy. So I gave up on the idea.

Fast forward to last year. I had polished the sides lo the slide and frame on Domino but that mirror like finish showed every little scratch! Well I found an old used nub of a Dremel end brush in some old stuff of my late father's and it got me to wondering. So I chucked it up in my Dremel tool, put some course polishing compound on it and started tapping the end of the brush on the polished slide. The result is what you see in the pic. Depending on a few different factors the pattern can be dots or squiggly lines.

The coolest part of the finish is that when the gun is held and moved around in the light the pattern looks 3D and seems to move with parts of it disappearing. I think that it's a very cool finish, even if it is a bit flashy.

Thanks for asking.

John
Make a video of it, I'd like to see the effect.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 01-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #1298
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 762 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 786

JS gun grips on both.
SA RO and Sig Ultra.

Jim

Old 02-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #1299

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1391456608.619954.jpg
My Ruger SR1911 with stock grips...more will come...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 02-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #1300
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux View Post

JS gun grips on both.
SA RO and Sig Ultra.

Jim
Did you have some lowering cuts done on your full size model ? I had my adj sights just hammered on and to keep the zero, I had to add a real "shark fin" of a front sight. (shark fin = real high) Wish I would have paid the extra $$$ to have it lowered.

The shark fin front makes it hard on my holster. It was part of my build a comp gun on a budget dreams. Lesson Learned - never start a 1911 project on a budget. It only leads to heartache.