Let the interweb Kimber bashing begin!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Let the interweb Kimber bashing begin!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Let the interweb Kimber bashing begin!!

This is taking place in my home state and thought I would share it here. the local gun forum I saw it on has already got a few guys a little amped up on both sides of the Kimber fence. I just wanted to open the discussion here.

NC ALE agents say Kimber weapons were unreliable www.privateofficer.com « PRIVATE OFFICER NEWS NETWORK

I've had 2 Kimbers and I still own one. I would not hesitate to buy another one, mine have been nothing but reliable, accurate and a joy to shoot.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I have owned 4, still own 1 and have not had problems with any of them. Like everything else on the interwebz, 1 person with a grudge will press the issue and post bad stuff everywhere & often.

Now I will caveat my comments by saying I do not shoot much JHP ammo in my 1911s - some of them have had nothing but 230gr ball in their diet...

Old 03-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2890 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1239

I have never owned a Kimber, but people seem to be please with theirs.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #4

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I've never had any trouble with my Kimber... Maybe a few issues during the break-in period.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have owned 3. Still own one in .22lr the others were .45's. I have never experienced any of the problems that I have seen reported all over the Interwebz.

I shot everything through mine. JHP, ball, dirty-nasty-range only ammo. Sometimes as much as 300 or 400 rounds at a time for my Raptor II without cleaning. I believe my 5" is still roaming around here in the hands of Goju who hasn't told me of any problems he has encountered.

And I even used factory mags.

I haven't purchased a Kimber in a few years, so I can't speak for their most recent stuff, but I did handle them at SHOT this past year and they still seemed like a quality product from the fit and finish category.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 03-25-2011 at 04:07 PM.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I like my Kimber Compact to the point that I bought The Lovely Mrs one to replace her Colt Officers ACP.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I have owned 3. Still own one in .22lr the others were .45's. I have never experienced any of the problems that I have seen reported all over the Interwebz.

I shot everything through mine. JHP, ball, dirty-nasty-range only ammo. Sometimes as much as 300 or 400 rounds at a time for my Raptor II without cleaning. I believe my 5" is still roaming around here in the hands of Goju who hasn't told me of any problems he has encountered.

And I even used factory mags.

I haven't purchased a Kimber in a few years, so I can speak for their most recent stuff, but I did handle them at SHOT this past year and they still seemed like a quality product from the fit and finish category.

JD
What happened JD? When I first found FTF you were like all die hard nuts-o about how great Kimber 1911s were. Now you only have a .22? What did you replace them with, and why? If I may ask.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 03-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
What happened JD? When I first found FTF you were like all die hard nuts-o about how great Kimber 1911s were. Now you only have a .22? What did you replace them with, and why? If I may ask.
At the time Kimber was making great guns, but they have suffered some quality control issues sense then. They still make a very good product if you get a good one. Some of their offerings have been less then stellar and they are using MIM parts on some of their low end guns which for me is a no thank you. I still believe they are a good gun for the price, but their prices have gone up and the quality has not gone up with them.

I sold my two .45's and bought Nighthawks. A few years ago I met 3 of the founders of Nighthawk Customs at SHOT and spent about an hour talking 1911's with them.

They are an all US based company, using only the best US of A parts, and they have a great passion for the platform. I was VERY impressed with the people behind the product and bought one. Once I bought one, I was hooked.

Now I own 4 of them

Old 03-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

JD became a 1911 SNOB and now only buys $3k Nighthawks.

What is sounds like to be is. The old guy ordered a bunch of Kimbers because he knew they were good they had a few minor problems (Then again it says COLLECTOR grade) and now the new wonder boy who is Joe Tacticool wants new Glocks so to justify spending more money of unneeded firearms he will say the are so unreliable that we can't trust them. Here we can but all these glocks for that much and I will be saveing the state money because of the repair bills for the Kimbers.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
JD became a 1911 SNOB and now only buys $3k Nighthawks.
That's not entirely true.

Only one of them was over $3K for your information.

And I am currently working on a Taurus PT 1911. Tuning it and making it a JD Certified 1911 that already has another S/M interested in purchasing.

So there..... *PffffffffffT*