Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Les Baer (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/les-baer-39951/)

NGIB 03-18-2011 11:49 AM

Les Baer

Most Wednesdays, I watch the Outdoor channel as they devote the entire evening to shooting shows. I never even knew that gun makers had TV commercials as you don't see them very often and the Taurus Judge commercial was very funny. Showed a chick in a parking garage being followed by a thug. She reaches into her purse and pulls out a Judge. They cut to shots of head-sized watermelons exploding and then they announce "New Judge - same verdict".

Anyway, this week they did a 30 minute show on Les Baer and spent half of it showing in detail how his 1911s are hand fit. Very interesting stuff to watch as they showed a lot of the tasks the smiths do like using files to fit the slide to the frame and hand grinding the rear of the slide, the tangs, and the beavertail to get a seamless fit. These folks had Dremels in their hands and were using them expertly - which I got a real kick out of. According to the show (and Les himself) roughly 25 hours of hand fitting goes into every 1911 they make - even more on the special order guns. When you consider that their basic 1911 sells for around $1800 MSRP - you're actually getting a pretty good value for that level of craftsmanship.

No, I have no NEED at all for an upper level 1911 - but it damn sure is tempting to me again after watching this...

kyleytxrialover 03-18-2011 12:45 PM

mabye one day when i grow up:D

lonyaeger 03-18-2011 01:07 PM

I have a Baer TRS and the fit and finish is as good if not better than Wilson, Nighthawk, or Ed Brown, IMO.

NGIB 03-18-2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonyaeger (Post 467384)
I have a Baer TRS and the fit and finish is as good if not better than Wilson, Nighthawk, or Ed Brown, IMO.

I have a friend in Atlanta (yes, I have a FEW friends) that has a pair of Thunder Ranch Specials and they are indeed high quality guns.

Hell Lon, I'll trade you a Glock 19 and the Taurus of your choice for your Baer!!!

lonyaeger 03-18-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 467388)
Hell Lon, I'll trade you a Glock 19 and the Taurus of your choice for your Baer!!!

Let me think about that.

Okay, nah.

Gojubrian 03-18-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 467366)
Most Wednesdays, I watch the Outdoor channel as they devote the entire evening to shooting shows. I never even knew that gun makers had TV commercials as you don't see them very often and the Taurus Judge commercial was very funny. Showed a chick in a parking garage being followed by a thug. She reaches into her purse and pulls out a Judge. They cut to shots of head-sized watermelons exploding and then they announce "New Judge - same verdict".

Anyway, this week they did a 30 minute show on Les Baer and spent half of it showing in detail how his 1911s are hand fit. Very interesting stuff to watch as they showed a lot of the tasks the smiths do like using files to fit the slide to the frame and hand grinding the rear of the slide, the tangs, and the beavertail to get a seamless fit. These folks had Dremels in their hands and were using them expertly - which I got a real kick out of. According to the show (and Les himself) roughly 25 hours of hand fitting goes into every 1911 they make - even more on the special order guns. When you consider that their basic 1911 sells for around $1800 MSRP - you're actually getting a pretty good value for that level of craftsmanship.

No, I have no NEED at all for an upper level 1911 - but it damn sure is tempting to me again after watching this...

He sure had some nice cars too!!!!!

Dillinger 03-18-2011 03:25 PM

You mean they were doing stuff like this. :p

lonyaeger 03-18-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 467446)
You mean they were doing stuff like this. :p

YouTube - Nighthawk Custom Centennial 1911

Oh, that is very cool.

masterPsmith 03-18-2011 03:42 PM

Now you know how much time we (custom pistolsmiths) spend on building a high end 1911, or any other pistol for that fact. I just fitted a Wilson beavertail grip safety to my brother's Para P14 the other day while he watched. He did not realize the time and level of skill required to do it properly.

Jim...............

NGIB 03-18-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masterPsmith (Post 467462)
Now you know how much time we (custom pistolsmiths) spend on building a high end 1911, or any other pistol for that fact. I just fitted a Wilson beavertail grip safety to my brother's Para P14 the other day while he watched. He did not realize the time and level of skill required to do it properly.

Jim...............

Yup, that's what impressed me. Watching these folks use Dremel's with absolute precision was fascinating - especially considering that for mere mortals Dremel's should never be in the same room as guns. Baer said it took over a year and a half of specific training before any of their smiths was deemed "qualified" and I believe it. They actually had a human assembly line as each smith focused on a particular aspect of the gun...