Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Lefties & non-ambidextrous safties

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Lefties & non-ambidextrous safties

Are there any lefties who use 1911s with non-ambidextrous safeties? If so do you find this slows you down when disengaging the safety to fire?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2655 Times on 1548 Posts
Likes Given: 1177

All the lefties I know have installed ambi-safeties.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'm a lefty and I carry a sig sauer c3, it don't have a ambi safety, it did slow me down for awhile but I practice my drawing it out of my holster and hitting the safety with my trigger finger while drawing it, it's a little tricky but practice makes perfect

Old 04-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #4

Liked 1675 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1127

I will not buy a gun that has a safety that is not ambidextrous. I am ok with no safety. But I acidentally fired a gun once by trying to use a right hand safety with my left hand. No one was hurt. But I wont be doing it again.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Last edited by Rick1967; 04-10-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #5

Liked 1675 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1127

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmahan View Post
I'm a lefty and I carry a sig sauer c3, it don't have a ambi safety, it did slow me down for awhile but I practice my drawing it out of my holster and hitting the safety with my trigger finger while drawing it, it's a little tricky but practice makes perfect
I do not disengage my safety until my gun is pointed where I want it. There is a video on this forum of a guy drawing and shooting himself as soon as his gun cleared the holster. Shot himself in the leg.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #6

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967

I do not disengage my safety until my gun is pointed where I want it. There is a video on this forum of a guy drawing and shooting himself as soon as his gun cleared the holster. Shot himself in the leg.
Haha that is tex grabner. It was an accident. He rests his thumb on the safety while shooting so it was instinct to grab it that way... No excuses tho rofl he shot himself pretty good I once accidentally stabbed myself while playing with a knife drunk.... I learned that lesson after some moderate nerve damage haha