Last weekend.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Last weekend.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 01:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Default Last weekend.

Ok, I don't know if you read my "Great weekend report" post or not. During the 5 hrs at the gun/hunt club my friend (heretofore known as Rafael) and I shot pistols between clays and rifle.

Here's the gist. We took his father's S&W 1911, 5" barrel, stainless and ambi safety. We also took a Hi-Point .45 I have. The range they have there is not set up for range pics so don't ask for any. All I can say is that this is a true story, and I know I need a 1911.

We shot roughly 100 rounds total and nearly even % (HP holds 9). There were no feed or fire issues with either weapon. There were isssues with the Smithy in function...

My 3rd shot resulted with the 'tang' from the safety on the left side popping off (actually hit me above my left eye atop the goggle line). Not the whole knob, but the 'tang'. Also, the slide did not lock open after the last shot.

I was bothered and concerned with how Rafael's father would react. It was his pistol and he was not there. He does have the attitude of take and use whatever you want, just clean them well when done. Keep in mind that he has stuff that has never been fired.

Upon telling him, he just said, "Not a big deal." He looked at it and said he had the same in 9 mm and he could just switch the safeties. Ok, all good. When he said that he got that 1911 thru a friend that had 16 of them as police trades and he paid less than $250.00 for it, I cracked a beer.

So, the 'tang' coulda been cracked, but why no lock open?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-16-2009, 01:34 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Tang could have been a MIM part and could have been worn previously.

One of the big reasons I don't like MIM parts in my weapons.

As to why the slide didn't lock open? Could be a worn, or sheared, slide lock. Could have been a problem with the mag.

Were you able to lock the slide open manually? At all?

Old 09-16-2009, 01:44 AM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Tang could have been a MIM part and could have been worn previously.

One of the big reasons I don't like MIM parts in my weapons.

As to why the slide didn't lock open? Could be a worn, or sheared, slide lock. Could have been a problem with the mag.

Were you able to lock the slide open manually? At all?
Yes, but only with the slide lock. The hammer did not stay cocked with the last rack of the slide (feed first round) on the last mag either.

The safety assembly is obviously cast alumunum.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!