Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Larry Vickers on the 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 12:53 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I shoot 230g ball ammo almost exclusively. Works great and wins wars. Kills badguys dead and always feeds, fires and ejects.

I want to be a ball turret gunner.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:04 AM   #12

Quote:
If however you treat your pistols like we all treat our lawnmowers then don’t get a 1911 – use a Glock.
LOVE it!

BN-Life - NRA
- NRA Certified Instructor -
I'm not worried about terrorism, I was married, TWICE!

Old 07-07-2010, 01:30 AM   #13

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Valid points JD but any of us with 1911s will admit that they are prone to need a bit of tweaking to run just right. To me that is part of the joy of ownership. My advice to noobs is much the same - get a plastic pistol unless you have the time & patience to make a 1911 sing.
I completely disagree with your premise. If I may use an analogy, gun owners are like music lovers.

There are the “comfortably numb” among us that simply are ignorant of the subtle differences in performance. In music, there are transistor radio listeners (my age tell) and then there are audiophiles requiring premium equipment because they can hear the French Horn in the third row.

I’ll bet you a beer that 50% of glock owners don’t know what trigger take-up is much less that their firearm is a poster child for the term. That same mentality exists with the 1911 owner who says, “My trigger breaks like a glass rod.” They are the ones that think the “break” is tactile rather than timing. The lack of creep (perceptible movement) before the sear breaks keeps the muzzle fixed. I find this clean surprise results in improved accuracy causing a paradigm shift from trigger movement to trigger pressure.

When that shift occurs, you will hear the French Horn!

All 1911 owners are not audiophiles and unlike you and me, take their Harley to the dealership for work rather than tweak on her!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-07-2010, 01:38 AM   #14

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
But when I hear people complain that the platform is "problematic" it kind of sets my hair on end because a lot of time it's the user interface and not the weapon. JD
+1 JD, it’s what I call P.E.B.H.A.G. (Problem Exists Between Holster And Gun)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-07-2010, 02:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
* snot bubble *
thats the nicest thing ive been called all day. I feel the love

Old 07-17-2010, 03:59 AM   #16

"All 1911 owners are not audiophiles and unlike you and me, take their Harley to the dealership for work rather than tweak on her! - CANEBRAKE"

Canebrake and I agree. Of my three S&W (sorry, Canebrake) 1911's, ALL of the work is done by companies like Cylinder and Slide. I don't touch anything other than cleaning the heck out of them. I used to build engines for drag racing, and now work on the Boeing 747 airplane, but I know enough NOT to touch/alter/work on my 1911's.

Last edited by SHAMUSPI; 07-17-2010 at 04:02 AM.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:43 AM   #17
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2751 Times on 1595 Posts
Likes Given: 1202

I have always found the 1911 platform an interesting and joyful thing to work with. I will tweak, tune, change, file, and hone until I feel I have it "correct". The key to anything (jets, cars, pistols) is to understand how things work together.

Most handgun owners do not want to know sear angles, spring strength, or even how to properly hold a handgun. That it goes "bang" when they pull the trigger is enough.

I will admit that I have made some mistakes (and I have lost matches because of my mistakes), but I've had more than one learning experience.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-17-2010, 04:53 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

To me, a 1911 is a joy unmatched by any uber tactical polymer marvel.

I am an adequate rifleman. I am a fairly good handgun shooter. With a 1911, I am deadly accurate.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-17-2010, 08:26 AM   #19

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Just say it..1911's are the bestest! So there!

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-01-2010, 12:03 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'll agree with Larry to this extent for certain: if you are an LE agency, you want a pistol that will tolerate neglect, is harder to shoot negligently (long trigger pull vs. 1911 SA break) and requires little training in the manual of arms. Most LEOs aren't gun people and could care less about the sublties of design excellence. They simply want an appliance as direct in its operation as a refrigerator.

Regards,

Walt

Author, The NEW! AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M1911 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guides,
The M14
and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
Certified Glock Armorer