Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > kimber zero malfunctions, ruger 11 malfunctions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default kimber zero malfunctions, ruger 11 malfunctions.

Went to the range with my brother and his ruger 1911 my kimber custom 2. Went through a 17 round ipsc style course 12 times each. I did not have a single malfunction. My brothers ruger had one if not two malfunctions per course except one. Malfunctions range from fte, stove pipe, to light primer strikes. Anyone had these problems? He was using factory mags, but later switched to my 47d. Had less problems but still had some.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #2

Liked 1088 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft
Went to the range with my brother and his ruger 1911 my kimber custom 2. Went through a 17 round ipsc style course 12 times each. I did not have a single malfunction. My brothers ruger had one if not two malfunctions per course except one. Malfunctions range from fte, stove pipe, to light primer strikes. Anyone had these problems? He was using factory mags, but later switched to my 47d. Had less problems but still had some.
I haven't had a single problem with my SR1911. I've put a few hundred rounds through mine.

Last edited by Fathead00; 06-04-2013 at 09:39 PM.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft
Good lord that's a lot of ammo. I wish I could shoot that much at one time.

Always have clean socks.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #4

Liked 120 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Try running a course or two with each other's gun. It may be the shooter.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksdraw View Post
Try running a course or two with each other's gun. It may be the shooter.
I'll give it a shot. I would hope it is not the shooter. He is a firearms instructor for Fresno PD and considered expert marksman. Not saying he could not have problems, it is possible.

On a side note, I think it's funny with all the anti Kimber stuff out there, my gun has never had a problem and after running that many rounds the thing was filthy. Not grit, no nothing...smooth as silk.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 06-05-2013, 01:41 AM   #6

UPDATE:

Ok I just found out my brother changed the mainspring, recoil spring, grip safety, mag release, and slide stop. So it is possible, probably very possible that the malfunctions were a result of the lighter mainspring and recoil spring.

This brings me to another question. Lighter spring equals faster slide speed. Faster slide should strip the case better, right?

Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #7

Liked 120 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 58

It could be possible the slide is moving faster than the magazine can feed the next round. As I understand the gun's cycling, it's more important the systems being in sync than being fast.

Your brother should try the factory spring again.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #8

Liked 1681 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

It seems like every time I hear about someone having a problem with just about any brand of 1911...it is after they did mods to it. The 1911 is normally a very reliable gun...even the cheap ones. A good cleaning can greatly improve reliability as well.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #9

Liked 1976 Times on 1174 Posts
Likes Given: 424

Lighter spring will give faster rearward slide speed but slower return to battery and less force for stripping rounds from the mag.

The only real reason to go to a lighter recoil spring is lighter loads.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:43 AM   #10

I have the kimber ultra covert II and I love it. Comes with laser sights in the grips and it is very accurate. Had to pay top dollar but I think it was worth every penny.