Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   kimber zero malfunctions, ruger 11 malfunctions. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/kimber-zero-malfunctions-ruger-11-malfunctions-91780/)

DarinCraft 06-04-2013 09:07 PM

kimber zero malfunctions, ruger 11 malfunctions.

Went to the range with my brother and his ruger 1911 my kimber custom 2. Went through a 17 round ipsc style course 12 times each. I did not have a single malfunction. My brothers ruger had one if not two malfunctions per course except one. Malfunctions range from fte, stove pipe, to light primer strikes. Anyone had these problems? He was using factory mags, but later switched to my 47d. Had less problems but still had some.

Fathead00 06-04-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarinCraft
Went to the range with my brother and his ruger 1911 my kimber custom 2. Went through a 17 round ipsc style course 12 times each. I did not have a single malfunction. My brothers ruger had one if not two malfunctions per course except one. Malfunctions range from fte, stove pipe, to light primer strikes. Anyone had these problems? He was using factory mags, but later switched to my 47d. Had less problems but still had some.

I haven't had a single problem with my SR1911. I've put a few hundred rounds through mine.

JW357 06-04-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarinCraft

Good lord that's a lot of ammo. I wish I could shoot that much at one time.

qwiksdraw 06-04-2013 10:51 PM

Try running a course or two with each other's gun. It may be the shooter.

DarinCraft 06-05-2013 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwiksdraw (Post 1267710)
Try running a course or two with each other's gun. It may be the shooter.

I'll give it a shot. I would hope it is not the shooter. He is a firearms instructor for Fresno PD and considered expert marksman. Not saying he could not have problems, it is possible.

On a side note, I think it's funny with all the anti Kimber stuff out there, my gun has never had a problem and after running that many rounds the thing was filthy. Not grit, no nothing...smooth as silk.

DarinCraft 06-05-2013 01:41 AM

UPDATE:

Ok I just found out my brother changed the mainspring, recoil spring, grip safety, mag release, and slide stop. So it is possible, probably very possible that the malfunctions were a result of the lighter mainspring and recoil spring.

This brings me to another question. Lighter spring equals faster slide speed. Faster slide should strip the case better, right?

qwiksdraw 06-05-2013 11:49 AM

It could be possible the slide is moving faster than the magazine can feed the next round. As I understand the gun's cycling, it's more important the systems being in sync than being fast.

Your brother should try the factory spring again.

Rick1967 06-05-2013 12:59 PM

It seems like every time I hear about someone having a problem with just about any brand of 1911...it is after they did mods to it. The 1911 is normally a very reliable gun...even the cheap ones. A good cleaning can greatly improve reliability as well.

SSGN_Doc 06-05-2013 01:09 PM

Lighter spring will give faster rearward slide speed but slower return to battery and less force for stripping rounds from the mag.

The only real reason to go to a lighter recoil spring is lighter loads.

pass42 06-06-2013 02:43 AM

I have the kimber ultra covert II and I love it. Comes with laser sights in the grips and it is very accurate. Had to pay top dollar but I think it was worth every penny.