Kimber won't eat hollowpoints - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Kimber won't eat hollowpoints

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 01:07 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Thanks Spitty, when I see you I'll smack you with my cane and run you over with my walker...
better then a huveround!!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-31-2010, 01:42 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 275

If the gun is new, it might be a break in issue. I would make sure it has at least 500 rounds through it and try switching to a different HP. Speer Gold Dots have a rep for feeding like ball. Contact Kimber. Even the "better" makers can goof occasionally. A friend had a Kimber with a sear that was made crooked. Only one side of the "hook" engaged the hammer. He sent it back and they fixed it, quickly. They keep records of who assembled what gun so they need to knoow if an employee is slacking and letting crap out of the factory.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-31-2010, 03:47 PM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Goju - One of the things to factor is in the power of the recoil spring. If the spring isn't strong enough to grab the round and slide it up the ramp, you have a problem.

The other side of the coin is that if the feed ramp isn't polished, you have problems. The Kimbers I have had experience with have always had a polished feed ramp. An easy way to check is run a cotton ball over it like the rounds feed and see if you get any snags.

I know the gun is new, but if it was shipped with an underpowered, or "weaker", graded spring you might have a problem. I don't know your specific model personally, but I had a Raptor II ( which is a smaller 4.25" bull barreled model )from Kimber and it never had a problem feeding anything. The spring it came with was +P rated though and was an "upgraded" spring from the "standard" spring.

NGIB is right in that the extractor can cause problems as well, but I concur that if it feeds 100% with FMJ, I doubt this is an issue.

However, without seeing it first hand, this is all wild conjecture.

One thing is certain: If it won't feed everything reliably, it's definitely regulated to back up duty until it will. I won't carry anything that doesn't feed 100% of what I feed it. Unlike NGIB, I do carry my 4.25" 1911 damn near everywhere.

Keep us informed of what you try and what you find out.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:02 PM   #14

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

A lot of Kimbers will have a 16# recoil spring in them. I like an 18-20# myself. That can be a factor as was stated in the earlier post. Have you run your finger on the feed ramp to feel for any tool marks or humps? It's not too hard to polish a feed ramp but you need to be careful. Most the time I tell people to find a good gunsmith. The only other thing I would think of is the ammo itself. I got one 1911 here that will not feed Cor-Bon ammo but loved Hydro Shoks. Sometimes it's a matter of getting a few different boxes of ammo to see what flavor yours likes best. There are so many different shapes of HP ammo abd some work better in brand X weapons than others.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:15 PM   #15

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Good catch by JD about the recoil spring, which goes to show I shouldn't post early in the morning. Basically, I have always run the heaviest spring that provides 100% reliability. Both of my 5 inch guns are running 17 1/2 # Wolff variable rate springs. (The 5 inch standard is 16 #) My Dan Wesson Pointman needed a 19 # to operate correctly.

You can get a "tuning" pack of springs from Wolff (or Brownells) that will have 4-5 springs ranging from light to heavy to do the experiment...

Old 03-31-2010, 07:45 PM   #16

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Good catch by JD about the recoil spring, which goes to show I shouldn't post early in the morning.
You can get a "tuning" pack of springs from Wolff (or Brownells) that will have 4-5 springs ranging from light to heavy to do the experiment...
I wouldn't sweat it bro, I have had the same thing happen about 3K times... LOL

Plus one on the tuning pack. In the shop we have about 100 different springs from various makers, so when I get a new gun, I just grab the spring box and head to the range.

A lot of times ( well, with the Nighthawks ) the only change was to go with the recommend spring for +P ammo.

That would be much cheaper than going to a gunsmith first order Goju.

JD

Old 04-01-2010, 12:46 AM   #17

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
A 1911 guy can never have to many mags, so for your next batch I'd try Chip McCormick Power Mags. I have a half-dozen of them and they've performed 100% for me - even with JHP ammo. I know "The Dude" likes Tripp's and they are also a great mag. Nothing against Wilson 47's as I have a bunch of them as well; however, finding the right mix of gun, mags, and ammo is an adventure.

I actually had a S&W 1911 for a time that loved CMC Power Mags and hated Tripp mags - it happens...
My PCII does not like CMC powermags, its runs great with 47d's and the Kimber 7rdr's.

Win Ranger 230gr runs fine in mine, Ive not tried any other HP.

Give it a try.....

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 04-01-2010, 01:09 AM   #18

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Goju, you doing a 'palm-pop' after loading your mags?

After I load my mags, or if I remove the mag from the void, before I insert it back into the gun I tap it on my weak side plam. This seats all the rounds uniformally against the back of the mag.

It's just one more thing to eliminate as a problem.

Oh yea, go buy a Tripp Research Cobra Mag and dump that 47D!

Everyone here (except Grandpop) has zero issues with the Cobra Mag!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-01-2010, 01:57 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My offer is still on the table....

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 04-01-2010, 01:59 AM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Yep, I'm making sure the mags are seated. Here's my dilema with my steps to solve it.

Kimber won't feed hollowpoints:

1. Make sure I'm not limpwristing.
2. Make sure magazine is seated properly.
3. Try different mags
4. Try different hollowpoints with different weights..
5. Try wolf spring kit (ordered)

Thanks for the help everyone, we'll get this solved.

Now, many people would say "my xd,glock,etc will eat everything and it didn't cost near that much." I'm actually liking this, kind of like a mechanical adventure!