Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Kimber won't eat hollowpoints (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/kimber-wont-eat-hollowpoints-25412/)

Gojubrian 03-31-2010 07:15 AM

Kimber won't eat hollowpoints

As many of you know I bought a NIB Kimber pro carry 2 with nite sights a short while ago. I've put 500 rounds of fmj's through it and 100 hollowpoints through it.

It eats FMJ's all day long, but it doesn't like hollowpoints. I've tried WWB 230grain hollowpoints, DPX 200grain hollowpoints, and 185grain remington's.

I also use wilson47d's instead of the kimber magazines. The problem is with the feeding. Just about every 4th or 5th round wants to dig downward instead of feeding up and gets stuck. I rack the slide and it's fine, but good grief. I thought I had it fixed for a while when it started feeding them ok, but then it started again.

Think maybe I need a full size 1911. People seem to complain less about them. Anyone experience this?

efaz1 03-31-2010 08:37 AM

Work on making sure that you are not limp wristing during the recoil, typically as the gun is blown back and up, the bullets go forward and down, sometimes they can snag on the feed ramp due to burrs, gently cycle the action while watching and see if the round gets hung up, you can also carefully give slight down press on the head of the bullet as it loads to see if there is a burr there catching it.
Third possible cause is the bullet shape itself, not a rounded head and sometimes HP has more burrs, or lip than ball.

NGIB 03-31-2010 08:38 AM

Goju, expect a ton of advice to come your way on this one. Mechanically, weak mag springs and a rough feed ramp are 2 very common problem areas. Extractor tension can come into play but since your gun is 100% with ball ammo - probably not. This is fairly common to all sizes of 1911 so switching to a full-size model wont necessarily end the issue.

There's a real good possibility that there is a combination of mags & ammo your gun will like - it's an expensive search though. As I have a bunch of 1911s, I also have quality mags from different vendors so it makes this "game" a bit easier for me. To make a long story short:

I'll catch hell for this but when I carry a 1911 it is loaded with 230 grain ball ammo...

Gojubrian 03-31-2010 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efaz1 (Post 261038)
Work on making sure that you are not limp wristing during the recoil, typically as the gun is blown back and up, the bullets go forward and down, sometimes they can snag on the feed ramp due to burrs, gently cycle the action while watching and see if the round gets hung up, you can also carefully give slight down press on the head of the bullet as it loads to see if there is a burr there catching it.
Third possible cause is the bullet shape itself, not a rounded head and sometimes HP has more burrs, or lip than ball.

I really don't believe limpwristing is the issue, but I appreciate the advice and will look into it further. I intentionally made sure NOT to limpwrist when I started having this issue. I'm thinking it's a feedramp issue.

Gojubrian 03-31-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 261039)
Goju, expect a ton of advice to come your way on this one. Mechanically, weak mag springs and a rough feed ramp are 2 very common problem areas. Extractor tension can come into play but since your gun is 100% with ball ammo - probably not. This is fairly common to all sizes of 1911 so switching to a full-size model wont necessarily end the issue.

There's a real good possibility that there is a combination of mags & ammo your gun will like - it's an expensive search though. As I have a bunch of 1911s, I also have quality mags from different vendors so it makes this "game" a bit easier for me. To make a long story short:

I'll catch hell for this but when I carry a 1911 it is loaded with 230 grain ball ammo...

FMJ for carry! Yeah, I would worry about overpenetration too much to do that myself.

I think it will be an expensive search indeed to find out what this thing likes. I think I'll have my gunskmith friend look at it and see if he can polish the ramp or something for me. :cool:

I'll also try some different hollowpoints, yeah, they are expensive. I'm thinking it would probably feed the PowRball hoolopoints with the polymer ball in the tip since it feeds fmj's good.

NGIB 03-31-2010 08:59 AM

BTW, I very rarely carry a 1911 or use one for home defense - mine are for range shooting fun and competitions. The ,45 I use for HD is an XD Compact (loaded with Gold Dots) and I carry a Walther PPK 95% of the time.

If your gun is feeding FMJs 100% I'd say it should feed PowrBall's just fine. As for over penetration, I worry less about this than reliability. Most FMJ is loaded lighter than defensive ammo so it's "low & slow". In all the 1911s I've had, I've only seen 1 or 2 with a "rough" feed ramp so it's not as common a problem as folks are led to believe. Weak mags springs (yes, even in Wilson's) are a much more common problem...

Gojubrian 03-31-2010 09:31 AM

Thanks for the advice NGIB. Expertise and experience is always appreciated. :cool:

I am still happy with the kimber and will keep it.

NGIB 03-31-2010 09:57 AM

A 1911 guy can never have to many mags, so for your next batch I'd try Chip McCormick Power Mags. I have a half-dozen of them and they've performed 100% for me - even with JHP ammo. I know "The Dude" likes Tripp's and they are also a great mag. Nothing against Wilson 47's as I have a bunch of them as well; however, finding the right mix of gun, mags, and ammo is an adventure.

I actually had a S&W 1911 for a time that loved CMC Power Mags and hated Tripp mags - it happens...

spittinfire 03-31-2010 11:47 AM

I haven't had any problems with my Pro Carry eating HPs with any mag I have. I've used Wilson, Tripp and the factory mag with no problems at all. I actually carry the Tripp with 230gr HSTs.

I would try a couple of different mags and see what happens, like NGIB said. He's old, knows a bit more then I do.

NGIB 03-31-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 261063)
like NGIB said. He's old, knows a bit more then I do.

Thanks Spitty, when I see you I'll smack you with my cane and run you over with my walker...:D