Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > kimber vs Springfield?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default kimber vs Springfield?

I'm trying to decide between the two. Both feel comfortable in my hand but I haven't had an opportunity to fire either. Any input?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #2

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Both are excellent fire arms and I'm sorry I have never fired a Springfield but I do own a Kimber. From my understanding Kimber is the reason a lot of 1911's are now comming from the factory pre-customized because Kimber was incorporating those modifications at the factory and selling them for a price better than you could get if you took your stock pistol to a Gun Smith to have them perform the work. With that said, get whichever you like better. I doubt that you will be disappointed by either.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2579 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Fire both your potential choices. Which one do you prefer? I know owners of both brands, they are happy.
FWIW, Springfield has a lifetime warranty. Kimber, one year. Whether you find this important, is up to you.
I own a SA Trophy Match. It's been great. My Kimber ownership experience is irrelevant to this discussion, as it's a rifle.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 02-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I own a springfield champion gi. Its my everyday carry, I have no complaints. Never had any problems with it, picked it up used for about $600. The only thing I would change is put some night sights on it. Put probably 1000 rounds or more through it and never had any problems except with hollow points but that was just because the feed ramp needed polished. Since I got that done no problems at all.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:52 AM   #5

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I have owned several Kimbers and Springfields. They were/are standard production types,e.g. Trophy Match, Loaded, Target II, Eclipse, etc. My Springfield Trophy Match went back for a new slide. My springfield loaded had all kinds of problems, which included near non-existant accuracy, unreliable with any factory ammo I tried, barrel feet and slide improperly machined, sharp edges, just generally rough overall. This one, a gunsmith and I corrected, while doing custom work planned for the gun. I have a custom, built on an older standard parkerized Springfield, which is quite nice.

My Kimbers have been much better overall. Cleaner machine work, better fit of barrel-to-slide-to-frame, better finish, excellent accuracy and total reliability, except for one easily correctible problem with one gun. I understand the higher end Springfields like the TRP or Pro are quite nice, but I've never owned any of those.

I still own and shoot both brands. But, given my experience with five Kimbers and three Springfields, unless I were planning on extensive, and expensive, custom work on the Springfield to begin with, I'd have to go with the Kimber...ymmv

BTW, a gunsmith I spoke with recently indicated he doesn't work on many Kimbers because people just buy one with the features they want and don't usually need any additional work...

Old 02-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #6

Kimber but get S.S.- Both are great guns. Good shooting.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #7

Thanks this is all been great information I think I'm leaning towards kimber

Old 02-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default You might look at this

Here are a few more posts about Kimbers
I say don't confine your choices to just these 2 I would recommend a least looking at Colts
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/kimber-haters-attn-please-54788/

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne

Old 02-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2579 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 246

I don't suppose you found this sticky:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/choosing-your-first-1911-a-21860/

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 02-08-2012, 04:41 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's really mixed feelings.
I own both my kimber-good
My Springfield loaded-amazing
But I like both
I think kimber could put a little more quality in the pistols they produce
Just my .02