Kimber ultra spring help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Kimber ultra spring help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Kimber ultra spring help

For any Kimber 1911 owner. I have around 1k rnds thru my raptor, and need some advice on replacement springs. Should i replace now? Where do i get best springs? Do i need to replace small as well as large. I dont have any problem removing large spring but have heard differing views on the small inner one. I see kimber sells a whole replacement part, what would your opinion and recommendations be. Cant find this spring on wolf site. Heard someone post about springco? Help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-09-2011, 12:53 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

What kind of ammo have you been shooting? If you have just been shooting regular ammo I would say you got another 500-1000 before you very conservatively need to replace all the springs.

If you shot 1,000 rounds of +P, you might want to change the recoil spring for an upgraded version just out of concern as it is recommened by most manufacturers.

Wolff makes great replacement springs, but there is nothing wrong with going manufacturer spec'd parts either.

JD

Old 06-09-2011, 01:11 AM   #3

I have around 700 rnds of factory win. White box and a out 300 light hand loaded ammo. 3.9 gr clays w/220 rn.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:15 AM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

You have the Raptor, so that is the Kimber Custom Shop edition. I would say you have another 1000 rounds before you even have to worry about it to be honest.

I had a Raptor II and upgraded the recoil spring from the word go because I shoot and carry +P ammo. I went over 2000 rounds without a problem before selling it and that was a mix of the cheapest range ammo I could find and the hotter +P ammo from Winchester and Remington.

If you are experiencing problems with feeding or cycling, it would be a concern. This sounds like you have been doing some reading and got a little worried. I would say you're good to go for awhile longer as the Raptor is a hell of a pistol right out of the box and is really well built.

JD

Old 06-11-2011, 03:11 AM   #5

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Wolf has the springs you need. I ordered spares for my pro Raptor not long ago. If you read the site I belive it says the Kimber takes the same springs as the Colt Commander, but don't hold me to that.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #6

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

The entire assembly for my Ultra Raptor is about $45. I have a spare assembly and also a pair of plain ol' springs. I can't figure out how I'm going to remove that inner spring.

I think Kimber has updated their design a few times. The most recent design has the metal plate screwing onto the guide rod.

How do I remove the tension of the inner spring, get purchase on both parts, unscrew the end cap, AND cause no damage?

Or do I just bite the bullet and buy a new assembly every 5000 rounds when they recommend replacing the inner spring?

The outer spring is obviously super easy to replace.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face