Kimber super pro carry HD - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Kimber super pro carry HD

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
connectegr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 159
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredawg24
Ok, so here's the long over due reply...I ended up getting my HD back after a 6 month wait. Kimber compensated me with 7 mags (maybe one for each month+1 for the hassle?). I will say this, it was a very long wait, however I believe they went through this gun very with a very close eye. I have put another 200 rounds through it without a single jam, or failure to return to battery. So it has earned back my trust as a conceal weapon. However, I still think there customer service needs a very close eye to detail ran on it.
Glad they took care of your problems. Enjoy.
__________________
connectegr is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Overkill0084's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Weber County, Utah
Posts: 4,557
Liked 3099 Times on 1553 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Nearly anything has a 'break in' period.. A clutch in a car, a car, shoes, any type of engine.. It's just the nature of the beast..
Every gun, save for one(a Ruger that got worse over time) was a better shooting gun over with more rounds through it.
Have you not had similar experiences with guns getting better over time?
New cars typically function correctly during break in. You shouldn't have to endure repeated failure of your clutch or your engine during the first 500 miles. It should simply smooth out. Ford won't make you wait 500 miles before they look at your car if your engine quits repeatedly.
Guns should smooth out with use, yes. You shouldn't need 500rds to get them to work correctly.
Why is Kimber the only brand that doesn't want to hear from owners until after they manage to force 500 rds through their shiny new malfunctioning pistol? My SA and my DW worked out of the box. "Break-in" should not be a requirement for proper function.
__________________
Cheers,
Greg
MSgt, USAF, Retired
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?
Overkill0084 is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jjones45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 556
Liked 113 Times on 85 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post

Nearly anything has a 'break in' period.. A clutch in a car, a car, shoes, any type of engine.. It's just the nature of the beast..
Every gun, save for one(a Ruger that got worse over time) was a better shooting gun over with more rounds through it.
Have you not had similar experiences with guns getting better over time?
The only thing on a gun that should need to get broke in is a trigger imho. A handgun is made to shoot reliably and reasonably accurate. If it can't do that why spend that kind of money on one. By the way if I buy a new car and its not doing exactly what its suppose to do within the first 500 miles its going back to the dealer as well. When we spend hard earned money on things we expect them to work. Six months, wow that's a horror story imo. I don't know if I would cry or just be mad as heck that whole six months waiting on my new gun to come back. That's gotta rank up there with some of the longest waits ever for a gun repair.
__________________
jjones45 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
wiredawg24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Here is an long over due conclusion post: I finally got my HD back from Kimber...ended up taking almost 7 months to get but I got it. They sent me 8 clips for the hassle (I guess one for every month, plus 1). Even through I still feel that it shouldn't have taking that long (I understand with Hurricane Sandy hitting the East coast it may have effected the turn around time), living through two hurricanes, I know how they effect the area. I still think the wait time was extensive, maybe that's just me? However the folks in customer service told me I would get back a "True" custom gun (which left me somewhat confused, because the gun has "custom shop" on the slide???). So after a long wait, I received it and must say that after putting almost 200 rds through it, the thing works like I'd hoped it would have out of the box. It has not skipped a beat, no failure to feeds, no failure to return to battery, and everything works as smooth as possibly. So am I happy with...yes, do I trust it to carry...yes. Do I like there customer service...still a big NO. Many times when I called, I would get the response it should be ready in two weeks. Once one if them told me I should have it by Friday, so after Friday came and went. I called the next Monday and was told there was no record of anyone telling me that....so another month passed. But besides going through the ups and downs, I feel I finally have the gun I thought I brought almost a year ago I had some sweet custom grips made by Finer grain (buckeye burl)
as well as a awesome summer special II holster from Milt Sparks. I will post a pic soon.

image-2021242558.jpg


)

__________________
wiredawg24 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:22 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somewhere between you and nowhere...
Posts: 1,471
Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

The answer to the question of why Kimber requires 500 rounds before taking look at a pistol is from what I gather, they usually sort themselves out by then.

General handgun operation aside, I hardly feel its safe to feel proficiently trained or experienced with a particular handgun w/o shooting several hundred rounds..
Do we carry them before that..? sure..

What's really annoying, is people who have never owned or even shot any particular weapon speaking as though they've owned them their whole life.

As far as Kimber goes.. Lets be honest here, if they were as awful as some people claim or try and make them out to be, they'd be out of business at their price point. Seriously, think about it LOGICALLY..

And yes I own a Kimber, a series one Ultra CDP.
All the problems it's had were due to the mag. I traded for this pistol and had experience with it several years so I know the history

__________________

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.


Last edited by deadsp0t; 09-03-2013 at 02:29 AM.
deadsp0t is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:30 AM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somewhere between you and nowhere...
Posts: 1,471
Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredawg24
Here is an long over due conclusion post: I finally got my HD back from Kimber...ended up taking almost 7 months to get but I got it. They sent me 8 clips for the hassle (I guess one for every month, plus 1). Even through I still feel that it shouldn't have taking that long (I understand with Hurricane Sandy hitting the East coast it may have effected the turn around time), living through two hurricanes, I know how they effect the area. I still think the wait time was extensive, maybe that's just me? However the folks in customer service told me I would get back a "True" custom gun (which left me somewhat confused, because the gun has "custom shop" on the slide???). So after a long wait, I received it and must say that after putting almost 200 rds through it, the thing works like I'd hoped it would have out of the box. It has not skipped a beat, no failure to feeds, no failure to return to battery, and everything works as smooth as possibly. So am I happy with...yes, do I trust it to carry...yes. Do I like there customer service...still a big NO. Many times when I called, I would get the response it should be ready in two weeks. Once one if them told me I should have it by Friday, so after Friday came and went. I called the next Monday and was told there was no record of anyone telling me that....so another month passed. But besides going through the ups and downs, I feel I finally have the gun I thought I brought almost a year ago I had some sweet custom grips made by Finer grain (buckeye burl)
as well as a awesome summer special II holster from Milt Sparks. I will post a pic soon.

)
You sir have a beautiful gun! Glad it got sorted out finally.
__________________

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

deadsp0t is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
wiredawg24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default

The problem was a bent/warped frame, I have over 16 years of experience with the 1911 model, combined with 18 years of military/combat operation, so I understand the operation of the weapons. I traded springs out and brought Wilson mags hoping it would fix the issue, I told Kimber that. There words were, you should never have to use another type mag/spring to make our guns operator. Please send the weapon back to us. Maybe/sure of it my first post was a little degrading-that I apologize for...however I still believe as a manufacturer you should thoroughly test anything that you sell, especially if you market it as the best concealed gun in the world, and if your going to put custom shop on the side, you open yourself to lawsuits, just my thought on that...I whole heartily agree is there going to be a lemon with mass produced, sure. My father has had and loved his Kimber pro carry for years, I love the way it shoots, we hit our targets even at great distances. That's why I got one... But my main gripe was the amount of time for a turn around and some/not all, responses I received from there customer service dept. I truly enjoy/maybe even love the design of this weapon and not its working as advertised, there's no doubt that the gun will be passed down to my son. Buy thanks to everyone's response and the chance to vent somewhat. I think this avenue of sharing experience/good-bad, is a great learning tool for all of us--Wiredawg

__________________
wiredawg24 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Overkill0084's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Weber County, Utah
Posts: 4,557
Liked 3099 Times on 1553 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
The answer to the question of why Kimber requires 500 rounds before taking look at a pistol is from what I gather, they usually sort themselves out by then. Do they? Aside from mag related issues, I don't see it happening. Stuff like a warped frame or a poorly done extractor isn't going to "sort itself out."
General handgun operation aside, I hardly feel its safe to feel proficiently trained or experienced with a particular handgun w/o shooting several hundred rounds. Proficiency and experience vary from person to person. A person who is experienced with the 1911 should be able to proceed as they see fit. Not everyone is a noob.
Do we carry them before that..? sure. It's not always about carry. Range guns should work well too. They should do so without 500 rounds of aggravation before the maker is willing to work with you. Would this sort of thing be tolerated from any other premium maker?
What's really annoying, is people who have never owned or even shot any particular weapon speaking as though they've owned them their whole life.
Not entirely sure what your trying to say here. One needn't own a Kimber for 15 years to reasonably expect a brand new 1911 to work from day one.
As far as Kimber goes.. Lets be honest here, if they were as awful as some people claim or try and make them out to be, they'd be out of business at their price point. Seriously, think about it LOGICALLY.
If they were as good as their supporters maintain, they wouldn't need so much defending due to situations like this.
I don't think Kimber is awful. I just think that they are overpriced considering the length of the warranty and the quality of their customer service. If they were a bargain rack brand, these sorts of stories would be more tolerable. The sad fact is, Rock Island, a entry level brand has a far superior warranty (lifetime) and a reputation for excellent CS... at their more humble price point. Whats Kimber's excuse? Kimber wants to be thought of as a premium brand? Fine. They build good looking and for the most part, decent quality pistols. They need to up their game on after the sale service and come out with a longer duration warranty. Having a bad one leave the building now & then is to be expected, but turning it into an exercise in frustration for the purchaser is inexcusable.
And yes I own a Kimber, a series one Ultra CDP. I own a Kimber rifle, does that count?
All the problems it's had were due to the mag. I traded for this pistol and had experience with it several years so I know the history
So it was out of warranty and if the mags hadn't fixed the issue, you were on your own?
Why is Kimber given more slack on this sort of thing than other makers? At the price point Kimber plays at, their guns should simply work. No drama. No BS. You should be able to buy a box or two of ammo, take it to the range and shoot it. When that doesn't work out, CS should be doing their very best to fix any problems in a timely manner. If that's asking too much, then it's time to shop elsewhere.
__________________
Cheers,
Greg
MSgt, USAF, Retired
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Last edited by Overkill0084; 09-03-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Overkill0084 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Overkill0084's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Weber County, Utah
Posts: 4,557
Liked 3099 Times on 1553 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredawg24 View Post
The problem was a bent/warped frame, I have over 16 years of experience with the 1911 model, combined with 18 years of military/combat operation, so I understand the operation of the weapons. I traded springs out and brought Wilson mags hoping it would fix the issue, I told Kimber that. There words were, you should never have to use another type mag/spring to make our guns operator. Please send the weapon back to us. Maybe/sure of it my first post was a little degrading-that I apologize for...however I still believe as a manufacturer you should thoroughly test anything that you sell, especially if you market it as the best concealed gun in the world, and if your going to put custom shop on the side, you open yourself to lawsuits, just my thought on that...I whole heartily agree is there going to be a lemon with mass produced, sure. My father has had and loved his Kimber pro carry for years, I love the way it shoots, we hit our targets even at great distances. That's why I got one... But my main gripe was the amount of time for a turn around and some/not all, responses I received from there customer service dept. I truly enjoy/maybe even love the design of this weapon and not its working as advertised, there's no doubt that the gun will be passed down to my son. Buy thanks to everyone's response and the chance to vent somewhat. I think this avenue of sharing experience/good-bad, is a great learning tool for all of us--Wiredawg
IMHO, you have nothing to apologize for. 6 months to fix anything under warranty is simply ridiculous. Add to that the "blame the victim" BS after you told them about the mags & springs...sorry, you were much more patient than I would have been.
BTW, I love the grips.
__________________
Cheers,
Greg
MSgt, USAF, Retired
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Last edited by Overkill0084; 09-03-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Overkill0084 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Kimber Custom Cdp II or Kimber Super Carry Pro HD? nghtstkr64 1911 Forum 12 03-28-2014 03:42 PM
Kimber super carry custom jreed14 1911 Forum 12 02-11-2013 03:13 AM
Kimber Super Carry Pro HD review Bigcat_hunter 1911 Forum 6 08-25-2011 11:03 PM
Kimber Super Carry Pro Leatherneck1775 Range Report 13 02-07-2011 11:23 PM
kimber Super Carry Pro Leatherneck1775 1911 Forum 4 01-31-2011 12:00 AM