Kimber super pro carry HD - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

Kimber super pro carry HD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 03:23 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I had similar problem with my Ultra CDP. Kimber CS told me to call back after 500 rounds. It was also suggested to run it dirty. I thought about trading it in. More than $1k and 250 frustrating rounds. I bought 500 dirty reloads and Wilson mags. Magically the last FTF was on round 410. Then it ran flawlessly. I even used it for IDPA.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:59 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Have a Kimber Custom II CDP. 600+ rounds through it. Different FMJ and a couple of different JHP. Not a single problem using Kimber ProMags and Wilson Combat mags. Eaten everything it's been fed.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:13 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2299 Times on 1281 Posts
Likes Given: 6689

I love Kimbers. They are the best gun in the world.
Mine shoots 1/4" groups at 200 yards.
I personally have fired over 8 zillion rounds without a single problem.
. . .

But seriously... ..
My Kimber Ultra Covert is the only gun I have owned where I found it necessary to contact the manufacturer.
I was have some failure to ejects.. After a little cajoling, they sent me a new extractor.

With the new extractor fit and installed, no problems since.

Since I was guilty of letting the slide drop on a round placed in the chamber a few times, I think I may have contributed to the problem.

If you purchased a new firearm from Kimber in November, you certainly should have contacted them before swapping out parts.
Reason: It makes it harder for them to determine the true cause.

But if the frame is 'warped' . it's warped and they should make good.
Hopefully your communication with them is positive and does not include the tone portrayed in your original post.

I used minimum lube during break-in. I used 230 FMJ. I used boxes of cheap stuff and had lot's of fun.
Yes a few problems during break in, but I consider it very reliable.

I shoot regularly on the property, seldom clean it, it works!.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 179 Times on 131 Posts

I think its the times we live in now as far a customer service goes. Cs across the board has taken a dive in all aspects, not just gun companies. Restaurants and stores as well. But waiting 5 months for a gun back is asinine. It didn't even take that long to make it. If I were u I would never buy a kimber product again considering how you got burned. A lemon is one thing but not addressing the problem is another and totally unprofessional.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22397 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

what i don't understand is Kimber saying their pistols needing a 500 round break-in, to run correctly. now asbeing a mechanic and understanding how machinery operates, i have a hard time understanding why Kimber needs it, but other brands don't. i have never owned another 1911 over the years that needed a 500 round break-in to function correctly.

none of my current 1911's needed it. a Remington R1, a AC Commander and a SA Micro Compact 45. each one of them worked flawlessly out of the box with all ammo fed through them.

i just couldn't have confidence in a pistol that needed such a break-in period to be deemed reliable. that in my mind, erodes confidence, always wondering if at an inopportune time it wanted to have a problem.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:42 AM   #16
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4321 Times on 2436 Posts
Likes Given: 2056

A typical gun owner will go out with the gun maybe 2X a year and shoot maybe a box.

So, let's see how that works out.

2X times 50 = 100. With a break-in of 500 rounds, that comes to 5 years (500 / 100 =5) (but they have only a 1 year limited warranty).

Would someone double check my math?

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-02-2013, 02:06 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 179 Times on 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
A typical gun owner will go out with the gun maybe 2X a year and shoot maybe a box.

So, let's see how that works out.

2X times 50 = 100. With a break-in of 500 rounds, that comes to 5 years (500 / 100 =5) (but they have only a 1 year limited warranty).

Would someone double check my math?
Guns should be ready to perform from factory. That's my honest opinion. What's the break in for anyways? Slide and rails to smooth out? Barrel chamber to smooth out? Recoil/mag spring to break in? Some people I know replace recoil springs after 600 or so rounds in their 1911s. Not knocking kimber but come on. I had two kimbers and wish I still had at least one. My kimbers were great shooters with no problems but I have seen many kimbers need to be sent back to Yonkers or wherever their gun repair is. My buddy has a beautiful cdp that has had all types of problems at first but is now a great gun. He has more patience than me and it paid off. Kimbers are great guns when you get one that is trouble free, but aren't all guns great when trouble free? Like someone else posted, once you get it back you will probably have one heck of a pistol.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:14 AM   #18

Liked 588 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones45

Guns should be ready to perform from factory. That's my honest opinion. What's the break in for anyways? Slide and rails to smooth out? Barrel chamber to smooth out? Recoil/mag spring to break in? Some people I know replace recoil springs after 600 or so rounds in their 1911s. Not knocking kimber but come on. I had two kimbers and wish I still had at least one. My kimbers were great shooters with no problems but I have seen many kimbers need to be sent back to Yonkers or wherever their gun repair is. My buddy has a beautiful cdp that has had all types of problems at first but is now a great gun. He has more patience than me and it paid off. Kimbers are great guns when you get one that is trouble free, but aren't all guns great when trouble free? Like someone else posted, once you get it back you will probably have one heck of a pistol.
Nearly anything has a 'break in' period.. A clutch in a car, a car, shoes, any type of engine.. It's just the nature of the beast..
Every gun, save for one(a Ruger that got worse over time) was a better shooting gun over with more rounds through it.
Have you not had similar experiences with guns getting better over time?

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Ok, so here's the long over due reply...I ended up getting my HD back after a 6 month wait. Kimber compensated me with 7 mags (maybe one for each month+1 for the hassle?). I will say this, it was a very long wait, however I believe they went through this gun very with a very close eye. I have put another 200 rounds through it without a single jam, or failure to return to battery. So it has earned back my trust as a conceal weapon. However, I still think there customer service needs a very close eye to detail ran on it.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Nearly anything has a 'break in' period.. A clutch in a car, a car, shoes, any type of engine.. It's just the nature of the beast..
Every gun, save for one(a Ruger that got worse over time) was a better shooting gun over with more rounds through it.
Have you not had similar experiences with guns getting better over time?
A break in period is understandable. But my car has hopefully been proven safe before I drive it home. As others have mentioned some gun owners will never shoot 500 rounds. They presume that their $1k+ handgun is tested and reliable before the sale. They may also stake their life on this assumption. Kimber CS reasoned to me that this was due to their tight tolerances. If this is the case they should develop a program to cycle new slide/frame/spring combinations 500 times. Eventually I trusted my CDP. But I was disappointed with the cost and time of breaking in.

My EDC is a SA EMP40. It was an equally tight fit. And the springs are the tightest I have found. But it was flawless. I did find a very old box of JHP it did not like. But I found that the problem was with the cases.

Kimber makes some great looking guns. But they should pay more attention to QC and CS.