Kimber stripped grips threads...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Kimber stripped grips threads...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Kimber stripped grips threads...

<---Custom CDP II: when I changed the grips, both bushings on the left side came out with the screws. When replacing, I stripped the top hole and shredded the bottom hole. The grips are mostly held in place by the bottom screw/bushing, but if I take it off, there's no way it'll screw back on (so no pics). I called Kimber and they said they would have to "return it to factory condition" which probably means they would replace the frame. I cannot afford that.

So is there any way to fix? I looked at JB Weld but don't think it would work because there's no way to tighten the screw without breaking the epoxy, I'm guessing.

There is also BROWNELLS - 1911 AUTO OVERSIZED STOCK BUSHINGS & TAP, but I don't have the tools or the skills to do it properly. Should I just bring it to the gunsmith and see if he can do the oversize bushings?

Is it me or is this just cheap manufacturing? Do Colt 1911's have this problem? You would think that a gun as expensive as a Kimber... etc.

It was back in '32 and times were hard. He had a Colt 45 and a deck of cards; Stagger Lee

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. —Thomas Jefferson

Patriots are not revolutionaries trying to overthrow the government of the United States. Patriots are Counter-Revolutionaries trying to prevent the government from overthrowing the Constitution. --CA357

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2802 Times on 1620 Posts
Likes Given: 1219

It happens to the best.
The oversize bushings and tap are easy to work.

Basically, you are "chasing" the threads with the tap. The key is to be perpendicular to the frame. If you still feel unsure of doing it, most auto mechanics can assist. Then use loc-tite on the bushings (but not inside). After the bushings are setup (normally 24 hours is more than enough time), put the grips back on. A little oil on the screw threads may assist in avoiding this situation in the future.

I have used a large screw driver to put the bushing back in, but you have to be careful that the bushing does not get buggered up.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

bleak23 Likes This 
Old 12-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 253 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Same thing happen to me. Local GS charged me $45 to chase threads, install oversize bushings and lock tite them in. Worked well.

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

bleak23 Likes This 
Old 12-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2802 Times on 1620 Posts
Likes Given: 1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoertz View Post
Same thing happen to me. Local GS charged me $45 to chase threads, install oversize bushings and lock tite them in. Worked well.
Did that include cost of parts or were they extra?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #5

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoertz View Post
45 just for that? We charge 45 per hour of labor, but something like that probably wouldve been 15 plus parts, and free if you purchased the firearm from us.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I thought it was pretty reasonable. $45/hr for a skilled gunsmith (1 hr. min.) is not excessive in my opinion.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Oh! No charge for parts .

Old 12-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Addendum : I fully believe a skilled tradesman should be able to make a fair living. Billable hours are not necessarily all the working hours put in.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #9

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

anyone can strip out threads, and everyone has done it at least once, on something.

it has nothing to do with the quality of the firearm, and rests entirely on the skill of the monkey with the screw driving changing the grips. If you bought this weapon brand new and you're the only one who's ever changed grips, please take no offense to the term "monkey" if you bought it used, then blame it on the first owner! haha.

I've stripped out threads before especially working on auto projects in the garage. "oops, dangit! oh well, I guess they make helicoils for that!"

the fix is easy. if you don't trust yourself to do it, then stop by your local gun store, either they can do it for you, or will tell you who they sent their gunsmith work to.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Tarzan chastises me often. I plead guilty. In point of fact though, I have worked on many aircraft and cars. You said yourself that you have used helicoils so don't punish me too harshly. )