Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Kimber stripped grips threads... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/kimber-stripped-grips-threads-79444/)

bleak23 12-26-2012 10:14 AM

Kimber stripped grips threads...

<---Custom CDP II: when I changed the grips, both bushings on the left side came out with the screws. When replacing, I stripped the top hole and shredded the bottom hole. The grips are mostly held in place by the bottom screw/bushing, but if I take it off, there's no way it'll screw back on (so no pics). I called Kimber and they said they would have to "return it to factory condition" which probably means they would replace the frame. I cannot afford that.

So is there any way to fix? I looked at JB Weld but don't think it would work because there's no way to tighten the screw without breaking the epoxy, I'm guessing.

There is also BROWNELLS - 1911 AUTO OVERSIZED STOCK BUSHINGS & TAP, but I don't have the tools or the skills to do it properly. Should I just bring it to the gunsmith and see if he can do the oversize bushings?

Is it me or is this just cheap manufacturing? Do Colt 1911's have this problem? You would think that a gun as expensive as a Kimber... etc. :mad:

danf_fl 12-26-2012 11:02 AM

It happens to the best.
The oversize bushings and tap are easy to work.

Basically, you are "chasing" the threads with the tap. The key is to be perpendicular to the frame. If you still feel unsure of doing it, most auto mechanics can assist. Then use loc-tite on the bushings (but not inside). After the bushings are setup (normally 24 hours is more than enough time), put the grips back on. A little oil on the screw threads may assist in avoiding this situation in the future.

I have used a large screw driver to put the bushing back in, but you have to be careful that the bushing does not get buggered up.

jgoertz 12-26-2012 02:33 PM

Same thing happen to me. Local GS charged me $45 to chase threads, install oversize bushings and lock tite them in. Worked well.

danf_fl 12-26-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgoertz (Post 1066803)
Same thing happen to me. Local GS charged me $45 to chase threads, install oversize bushings and lock tite them in. Worked well.

Did that include cost of parts or were they extra?

jakewpns 12-26-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgoertz (Post 1066803)

45 just for that? We charge 45 per hour of labor, but something like that probably wouldve been 15 plus parts, and free if you purchased the firearm from us.

jgoertz 12-26-2012 07:02 PM

I thought it was pretty reasonable. $45/hr for a skilled gunsmith (1 hr. min.) is not excessive in my opinion.

jgoertz 12-26-2012 08:09 PM

Oh! No charge for parts .

jgoertz 12-26-2012 08:16 PM

Addendum : I fully believe a skilled tradesman should be able to make a fair living. Billable hours are not necessarily all the working hours put in.

70cuda383 12-26-2012 08:37 PM

anyone can strip out threads, and everyone has done it at least once, on something.

it has nothing to do with the quality of the firearm, and rests entirely on the skill of the monkey with the screw driving changing the grips. If you bought this weapon brand new and you're the only one who's ever changed grips, please take no offense to the term "monkey" if you bought it used, then blame it on the first owner! haha.

I've stripped out threads before especially working on auto projects in the garage. "oops, dangit! oh well, I guess they make helicoils for that!"

the fix is easy. if you don't trust yourself to do it, then stop by your local gun store, either they can do it for you, or will tell you who they sent their gunsmith work to.

jgoertz 12-26-2012 08:54 PM

Tarzan chastises me often. I plead guilty. In point of fact though, I have worked on many aircraft and cars. You said yourself that you have used helicoils so don't punish me too harshly. :))