Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Kimber Solo Carry Review, Comparison, and Range Shots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Kimber Solo Carry Review, Comparison, and Range Shots

The Kentucky Gun Company's Patrick Hayden reviews, compares, and shoots the Kimber Solo Carry pistol.

Last edited by CA357; 01-24-2011 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Sorry, per theTOS, no direct links

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-26-2011, 04:01 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

yeah i saw the solo on kimbers website today. their retail is $725 so im sure its a little less. since mine was less than their price by $130 or so. pistol looks bada$$. i would get one if i could. love to fire one as well.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:51 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i should be going to shoot it thursday. i let everyone know.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Any truth to the rumor that Kimber advises using ONLY 124 gr +p ammo (not 115 gr), or it will jam (FTE)????

Pops

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem."
Ronald Wilson Reagan, 1911-2004, 40th President of the United States of America

Old 02-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

so i did go today with my step dad so we both could shoot my 1911 and the solo. some idiot must have beaten us there because the was broke. so we settled on a sig p238 that he also had his eye on. not impressed it was in need of a recoil spring and misfired a lot from the slide not traveling all the way forward. show how they take care of their weapons. i am sure that the sig has had at least 5k rounds or so. as for the solo and the +p question. i just checked kimbers site and they dont say anything about it and also dont have the manual for the solo able to view like all their other products. but that could have been the problem with the rent one too.. i dont know

Old 02-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have spent more time reading about this today than I should have. I did read a set of break-in instuctions from Kimber that said to use 124 gr ammo for break-in. Read a report at Average Joe's Handgun Reviews(Jan23,11) that was interesting and listened to podcast from Bob Mayne at Handgunworld.com (Episode 106b) that was interesting although I don't share his views on external safeties. Sorry to hear the range guys didn't take better care of the Sig P238, I got one and it is a lot of fun to shoot and I have never had a problem with it.

If you ever get to shoot the Solo, post it up.

Pops

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem."
Ronald Wilson Reagan, 1911-2004, 40th President of the United States of America

Old 02-14-2011, 12:02 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

We're going to get a couple of these in to stock them where I work and I was curious about how they shoot, too. I'd like to get my hands on one to shoot it... so I can speak more knowledgeably about it first hand. If I do, I'll post it up here, too.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

didnt get to fire it. but i did hold and touch. even smaller than i thought and fit well for a small pistol. trigger was nice too. i think that i would buy one.
and the guys at the range said that they had better luck with the cycling on 147 grains 9mm. the solo likes the slower action. nothing +p though.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:43 PM   #9

Default Solo

Bought this gun for my girlfriend on Monday. It feels a little loose, and is freaking tiny in my hand, but it doesn't seem all too bad. We did have the cycling issue when we took it to the range, though. Using 115 grain FMJ's at the indoor range it locked the slide back 9 rounds out of ten. Going to take it back to the range soon and try some heavier loads in it and see how that works out. On the bright side, my girlfriend loves it because it fits her hand very well and she's comfortable handling it.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:06 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

let us know how it goes at the range with the higher grain. that is the only downside about it to me. just rather have common. but in this case wouldnt stop me from buying. it feels like a micro 1911.. i like it.

who shot more you or your girlfriend? just wondering