Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Kimber safetys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Kimber safetys

I have a kimber ultra carry and pro carry. both have regular kimber thumb safety's on them. I'm wanting to replace the safety's on both guns for kimber ambi safety's. is there any fitting or filing required for this or do they just drop in? Will I have to put in new hammer pins as well? Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-22-2013, 02:07 AM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

There are some that will say drop in but I've yet to use one that didn't require a little tweaking. Or worse they will be sloppy and move a,round a little.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

danf_fl Likes This 
Old 06-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #3

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

brngiese, Thumb safeties are not drop in parts. I have fitted a number of them and I have Very Rarely ever had one that would both drop in and function properly and safely. If a new safety drops in, and can be moved without resistance between the safe and fire position, chances are it will not block all sear movement in the safe position as it should. Apparently, some 1911 owners think that if they can get the safety in the gun, and it will move up and down, they're good to go. WRONG. On several occasions I have seen folks posting about how their new thumb safeties just dropped in, or that there's nothing to "fitting" one, is Colt's caution about a "scant safety" situation really a big deal?,etc,etc. I'll just say that in the three Colt O-frame armorers schools I've attended, the classes sure went through a lot of new, unfitted, thumb safeties to learn to fit them correctly...ymmv

ps, Yes there is "fitting and filing" required. A new hammer pin that does not protrude from the right side of the reciever, i.e., is flat on the right end, is normally needed just to clear the right side of the ambi safety. The right side lever may be secured in different fashions, depending on which ambi safety you use...

Last edited by rock185; 06-22-2013 at 08:09 AM.
People Like This 
Old 07-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #4

Turns out the Kimber ambi safety was a drop in part. No filing required